Wearsafe: A Game Changer in Fighting Sexual Assault

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

It’s a girl out for a run at night. A guy walking home from the bars alone. A mom and dad whose kid is going off to college.

11.2 percent of all college students experience rape or sexual assault.

Going beyond that, one in five women and one in 71 men will be a victim of sexual assault in their lifetime according to the CDC.

Sadly, many of these cases go unreported or unjustified due to the lack of detailed information at the crime scene.

What would you say if there was a device that could record audio at the scene, locate the victim with GPS technology, and alert a network of their most important family and friends with the push of a botton?

Wearsafe is the solution.

This small tag pairs to your smart phone and easily attaches to your clothes, keys, purse, or whatever personal items you keep close.

At the first sign of trouble you press the button, and the tag uses your phone to call for help. The tag softly vibrates to let you know that your call has been sent and vibrates again every time that someone has seen your alert.

The people that you choose to have in your group chat/network will then be able to hear audio from the scene, see where you are located, and discuss with each other what actions to take to help.

In my experience, I feel the benefits of the device every day without ever having sent an alert for help. Now you’re thinking, how the heck did this device help you without even using it? Just knowing that it is there makes me feel SAFE. As both a runner and a college student, late night runs and walks home from the library at dark are no longer something scary, and they shouldn’t be!

Do a favor for your family, friends, and most importantly yourself by staying safe out there!

Her Campus at UW-Stout