Unique College Courses: UW-Stout Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

As college students, we often get so invested in our programs and crunching credits that we forget about all of the “random” courses our schools offer that we can take to round out our experience and, to be honest, provide good conversation starters.  Without further ado, here are the most abnormal and potentially most intriguing courses at the University of Wisconsin – Stout.

PSYC- 225 Psychology of Video Games

I personally took this course and loved it. The professor went all out – points were “XP”, my group for projects was my “guild”, and the students’ class standing determined their individual titles – from “Noob” all the way to “Grand Master”.  And, yes, our homework frequently involved playing video games!

GEM- 207 Club Fitting and Repair

GEM- 217 Golf Swing Analysis and Instruction

GEM- 250 Turfgrass Management for Golf Courses

Basically, every course involving golf. Golf Enterprise Management is one of the most specific programs offered at UW-Stout and (coincidentally) has 18 courses unique to it.

HT- 326 Introduction To Wines And Spirits

This is Wisconsin we’re talking about. Are you really surprised?  As the description states: “Applied and historical knowledge of wines and spirits from different regions of the world; emphasis on preparation, selection, accompaniment with food, basic cost control analysis and service.” This course is available to students 21 or older and even applies toward our Global Perspective requirement. Cheers!

PE- 205 Lifelong Wellness: Biggest Loser Style

It’s named after a reality TV show.  Need I say more?

ANTH- 296 Religion, Magic and Witchcraft

As a life-long fan of the Harry Potter books, magic and witchcraft immediately caught my eye. Unfortunately, this course is only offered through the Wisconsin in Scotland Study Abroad program, which means we’ll have to start saving up for airfare!

I'm a Criminal Justice and Rehabilitation major at the University of Wisconsin - Stout who enjoys dancing, thought-provoking movies, and anything that involves zombies.
Her Campus at UW-Stout