Top 7 Long Hair Problems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

After years of dedication and commitment to growing out your hair, and refusing to just chopping it all off again because you can’t stand how it looks, you finally did it! You can finally do all the hairstyles you wanted to do but couldn’t when your hair was short. Only, after a while of having Rapunzel hair, you begin to finally learn the daily struggles of maintaining it…

1.       Wind Is Your Worst Enemy

It’s a breezy day and you walk outside to enjoy the outdoors when suddenly you can’t see anything; your hair is in your mouth and knotted up 1,000 different ways. Unfortunately, the more you fight the wind, the more you lose to it. It’s a good thing you wore your favorite lip gloss because now your hair is wearing it too! Thank you, Wind for destroying every hairstyle I create!

2.       Breaking Pony Tails

Whether you are heading to the gym or simply want to get that long, hot hair off your neck, pony tails are a must. Unfortunately, thick haired girls know this best, but when tying up your hair, you can only wrap it around it twice. Don’t try a third time unless you want to experience the dreaded breakage of your beloved pony tail. Shoutout to all girls worldwide who can’t wrap their pony tail around a third time and hope it doesn’t break. This is why we have trust issues.

3.       Hair Stuck Under Your Arm

Having your long hair down can feel beautiful and elegant especially when you sweep all of your hair to the front to show it off. It won’t be long until your hair plots its revenge and somehow manages to slip in under your armpit, and oblivious, you move your head up and pull on your hair. After feeling like you ripped hair your scalp off, you re-adjust only to have it happen again on the other side.

4.       Brushing, Blow Drying, and Styling

There’s a technique and process for everything, especially for hair. You basically have to get ready for battle when it comes to brushing or doing any styling of your long hair. You look in the mirror, take a deep breath, grab the brush, and begin to comb. After two hours later you finally finish one side and your arms are aching. Once you finish combing your mop called hair you have to lay down because your arms are ready to fall off. After all that effort, you throw it up into a bun anyway.

5.       Hair products run out FAST

A normal person may spend about $10-20 give or take a month on hair products like shampoo and conditioner but lucky for you, you get to spend about double that. Using double the amount of products as most people means you get to crack out that poor wallet faster than everyone else. Although you may be broke, at least you have your long, beautiful hair right?

6.       Sleeping

You would think this wouldn’t even be an issue, but oh it certainly is. Long haired girls simply cannot just lay in bed and go to sleep. It’s inevitable to get tangles, knots, weird kinks and curls and if you move slightly from your perfect first position. You can also expect your hair to be all up in your face or completely uncomfortable throughout the night as well. To make matters worse, spooning is impossible and you feel terrible for your partner dealing with a face full of hair.

7.       Hair Shedding 24/7

If I had a dollar for every stand of hair of mine I found on myself or my things, I’d be richer than all the billionaires combined. Especially after you brush your long locks and begin to panic because you think your hair is falling out from the wad of hair dangling from your brush. You are constantly plucking off hairs and it feels like you still have more that are lurking somewhere on you that you can’t see. Especially during meal time, you will find your own hair in your delicious food (or even worse-someone else’s food!) You cannot escape this trap with long hair and it will haunt you forever.

There’s no doubt that having long hair has its perks and can be completely worth the time you spend on it but sometimes the struggles can wear you out. It can also feel like you are taking care of a small child at times, but at the end of the day you love your long hair and wouldn’t change it for the world.

Hello! My name is Elizabeth Jacobson, but most people call me Liz for short. I am a sophomore this year at UW-Stout to get my Bachelors degree in Business Administration. I plan to have an emphasis in entrepreneurship so that after college I can pursue my dreams of owning my own store. I have a passion for writing. I love new ideas, meeting new people, and exploring different things in life. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout