This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

I don’t know about anyone else, but the holidays are my favorite time of year. Everything is so joyous and cozy. One of my favorite activities during the season is curling up in a fuzzy onesie with a cup of hot chocolate if I’m feeling daring and watching a good ol’ holiday movie.

A Madea Christmas

This is yet another movie in the Madea movie franchise. In this film, Madea goes with her niece Eileen in a surprise visit to Eileen’s daughter on her new farm for Christmas since her daughter refused to come home. Starring Tyler Perry as Madea along with Larry the Cable Guy, it’s sure to give you a load of laughs.

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

This one is a good way to celebrate a good ol’ fashioned family Christmas, as the main character Clark W. Griswold would say. This film has been one of my favorites for years. In fact, I watch it multiple times every Christmas. It’s one of those that makes you laugh harder the more you watch it.

Elf

This ranks as one of my favorite Will Ferrell movies to date. It’s an appropriate movie for the kids, but it has enough humor to draw in the adults. Let’s just say whenever I hear someone say Santa, I always respond with “Santa? I KNOW HIM.”

Holiday in Handcuffs

This was a movie that I found on accident and didn’t know anything about it, but it was definitely one that I’ve watched more than once because I like it that much. It’s kind of your stereotypical Christmas love story, but it’s still unique and not like other movies. It involves Mario Lopez’s character getting kidnapped by Melissa Joan Hart’s character in order to pose as her boyfriend in front of her judgemental family during the holidays.

Fred Claus

This is another one of my favorite holiday movies. Vince Vaughn is one of my favorite comedy actors, so it was an added bonus. He plays Santa’s (or St. Nick in this case) Christmas hating older brother that is forced to go up to the North Pole and help his brother in the days before Christmas.

These are some of my favorite movies to watch over the holidays and I highly recommend you give them a try as well. They’re not your traditional Christmas movies like Frosty the Snowman or Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer, but they’re movies that can start just as memorable of traditions.

I like cats, the Green Bay Packers, and One Direction. That's about it.
Her Campus at UW-Stout