Tips That Every Girl Should Know for a Safe Night Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

After turning the legal drinking age and going to the bars a couple times, I’ve picked up a few tips and hacks that I wanted to share for you and your friends to have a safe and fun night. These tips are crucial for every girl to know before a long night out, as it’s always better to be safe than sorry. Plus, you’ll be glad you picked up on these in case you ever need them in a serious situation. Now, let’s get into a couple tips and hacks you need to know before a long night of drinking: 

1. Secure your keys and/or coin purse to your belt loop.

I picked up this little trick from a friend and thought it was genius. She had a little coin purse that contained her ID, money, and keys on a key ring connected to the belt loop on her pants. This not only makes it safer for you, so you don’t lose your keys when you’re rocking out on the dance floor, but it also makes it a lot harder for people to try to steal your keys or purse as well (double bonus!)

2. Go with friends, and make sure they know where you are at all times.

You’ve probably heard “use the buddy system” since you were a little kid, but it actually is very safe and responsible. There’s so many things that could happen, so pay attention to your friends and make sure you know where they are at all times. You never know, their life could depend on it if something bad happened.

3. Have a safe word for serious situations

You can’t always predict certain situations. For example, let’s say your friend was at the bar trying to buy a drink. A guy approaches and starts harassing her, trying to make all sorts of moves on her. Instead of shouting and starting a huge scene, using a safe word can come in handy. Many bars now have their own safe words, a common one being where someone orders an “angel drink” at the bar. By ordering that “drink” it tells the bartender that you feel uncomfortable/unsafe and will promptly signal them to take certain steps to discreetly to help you. Reference the picture above and ask the bartenders if they offer “angel shots” next time you’re out. This is a huge lifesaver.

4. Know your limit

Although this one is so simple, it’s something that many younger generations miss. It can be fun to get drunk really fast, but it’s never a good idea to go over your limit. You can not only do something you’re not supposed to or wouldn’t normally do while sober, but you can hurt yourself and/or someone else. It’s not cool to be that sloppy drunk person, so know your limit; also know your friend’s limits so that they don’t go overboard either.

5. Be skeptical. Don’t take drinks from strangers and keep an eye on your own drink.

If possible, order your own drinks at the bar. There are plenty of people out there that will put all sorts of crazy things in your drinks when you’re not looking. Play it safe and simply order your own drinks so you lower your risk from potentially being drugged. Also, don’t forget to keep an eye on your own drink. People have gotten very good at slipping roofies in drinks without you even knowing. So if you get up to dance, make sure to have a friend watch over your drink or take it with you. 

6. Bring only the essentials.

Minimize the amount of stuff you bring with you. I highly suggest not bringing your purse along; only bring the essential things such as your phone, keys, ID, money, hair tie, and safety devices like pepper spray. If you do insist on bringing a purse, opt for a small one that can go around your body to stop someone from snatching it off your arm. The less stuff you have with you, the less there is to lose. 

7. Don’t get in the car with someone who’s been drinking.

There is absolutely NO EXCUSE to get in the car with someone who’s been drinking. By entering a car with someone intoxicated, you put yourself and others at high risk for something terrible to happen. Not to mention, getting a DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) will cost you a hefty fine along with jail time. If that doesn’t sound up your alley: call a sober friend, call a taxi, call an Uber or Lyft, or walk home if possible. Drinking and driving or getting in the car with someone who’s been drinking is never a good idea. To put it in perspective, “the national average cost of DUI is around $10,000, it can often be much higher or lower depending on where you live”. Don’t forget that this will permanently be on your record forever and could wreak havoc on your life (and someone else’s), so just be smart and don’t do it!

8. Make sure to eat before and after a night out.

By eating a full meal before and after going out, you allow the food to absorb the alcohol allowing you to feel less drunk. This is also cost friendly for you, as bar food can get expensive. By eating before you head out and when you come home, you’re doing yourself a huge favor. Especially after you return home, a good snack before going to sleep will help curb that hangover the next day.

9.  Wear reasonable clothes.

You may look smokin’ hot in those new high heels, but I guarantee that by the end of the night your feet will be so sore you won’t want to walk another step. Dress reasonable. This means picking out clothing and appropriate shoes that won’t break, make your feet bleed, or make you feel uncomfortable. You’ll feel much more comfortable and confident in clothes that look good, but won’t let you down. If you plan on dancing the night away, I especially recommend wearing shorts to help keep you cool. Bars and clubs are notoriously hot from all the people and everyone dancing, so expect to get warm very quickly. To reiterate- dress appropriately for the environment as no one likes sweat stains.

10. Don’t be afraid to have fun and dance.

Don’t be afraid to break out those awesome dance moves and have some fun! That’s why you came out the bars anyway, so you might as well loosen up and shake what your mama gave ya.If you can, try to check if you have everything that you came with. I usually do a check for my keys, phone, remaining money, ID, and anything else I might’ve had on like a sweater. Going out is a lot of fun, and it should be, but always make sure that you’re being smart about it. Use the buddy system and make sure you keep an eye on yourself and your friends. Make the evening one so that you all can safely and successfully have a fun night out. 

Please Drink Responsibly!

Hello! My name is Elizabeth Jacobson, but most people call me Liz for short. I am a sophomore this year at UW-Stout to get my Bachelors degree in Business Administration. I plan to have an emphasis in entrepreneurship so that after college I can pursue my dreams of owning my own store. I have a passion for writing. I love new ideas, meeting new people, and exploring different things in life. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout