This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

I have seen the backlash and memes about the Netflix orginial movie “Tall Girl”, and I knew I had to do a review on it. From the trailer it doesn’t seem that bad, a little weird but…okay. When I watched the movie, I realized how terrible it is.

First off, the main character Jodi isn’t even that tall. Yes she is above average height, but she isn’t a giant. Beyond that, being bullied for being 6’1″ is unrealistic. From what I remember about tall girls growing up, they were only bullied about their height. And just like them, Jodi is literally not bullied for anything else. Just being tall. That makes no sense. 

Also her best friend Jack is a creep. He has been hitting on her for years, and won’t take a hint. Reminds me of so-called “nice guys”. He literally watches her sleep in one scene and it just gets brushed off like nothing happened! He has some good moments but that doesn’t make up for anything. 

Jodi just annoys me, which isn’t good for a main character. Main characters are supposed to be likeable. She just is way too negative and has weird morals. For example, her sister talks about going on a diet which could harm her body, and Jodi just lets it happen! Her sister literally struggles to breathe in a tight dress and she continues to act like it’s nothing. She also kissed her unavailable crush, and doesn’t feel bad about it just because his girlfriend is her childhood bully! She acts like being tall is the end of world when it isn’t. She is white, seems to come from a wealthy family, and has friends. She seems to have a good life. And I know that you can’t measure someone’s struggles, but she complains way too much about her height. 

Now, the foreigns exchange student Stig seems okay at first, until later in the movie you find out he’s actually a jerk. He cheats on his girlfriend Kimmy with Jodi, and doesn’t tell her about it. He even keeps seeing Jodi while lying about breaking up with Kimmy. He only cares about himself and can’t make up his mind about what he wants.

It also doesn’t make sense to me that Jodi complains about being taller than half of the guys in her school. Why doesn’t she get with the other half of the guys? Netflix is telling us that her only potential love interests are her best friend and a foreign exchange student? Also how short are the guys in her school? Are they malnurished? It makes no sense.

The romance made me cringe throughout the movie. Jodi and the foreign exchange student have barely anything in common, and only knew each other for like a couple of days. I know high school can be like that sometimes, but it’s not common. Also why would she want to date her bestfriend who is a jerk and a creep? There are so many better options girl! Also what the heck is up with the escape room scene? They all just makeout in front of each other, it’s awkward. Horny teenagers are weird!

The only thing I really enjoy about the movie is the setting in New Orleans. I went there for a band trip sophomore year of high school. Great times. 

I would give Tall Girl a 5.5/10. The movie isn’t good, but it isn’t terrible. If you want to watch a bad teen movie, this movie is for you. If you want to actually enjoy yourself, watch something else. Some scenes are bareable, while other scenes made me want to turn off the tv. If you want to see what everyone is complaining about, then be my guest. Otherwise, don’t bother with Tall Girl.

Hannah Plitzner

UW Stout '23

I'm a college freshman going into Entertainment Design! I like movies, dogs, and drawing. My pronouns are she/her.
Her Campus at UW-Stout