Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Dead at 79

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

On Saturday, February 13 Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia was found dead in a resort in West Texas at the age of 79. Justice Scalia was appointed in 1986 by President Ronald Reagan, and was known for being a highly conservative member of the court.

Associate Justice Antonin Scalia

Justice Scalia’s death comes at a time when there are many controversial cases before the court including abortion, affirmative action, contraceptive mandates, rights of non-union members, immigration, and voter districting. Without his vote, the court may result in many 4-4 ties. This is significant because the Supreme Court either confirms or denies rulings from lower courts, and in the event of such a split, the lower court’s ruling can be upheld. This means that any controversial rulings could either stand, or be put on hold for another year.

President Obama is under pressure to appoint a new justice to fill the vacancy, but his problem is finding someone that Republican Senate will confirm. Any potential nominee for Obama might not make it through the Senate, meaning that the seat could be vacant for more than a year.

Associate Justice Antonin Scalia might be remembered most for his landmark decision District of Columbia v. Heller. In this case, it was held that the Second Amendment protects the right to posses a firearm at home. He was also known for his opposition of same-sex marriage and abortion.

Jack is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout, originally from Plymouth, Minnesota. He is majoring in Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a minor in Spanish.
Her Campus at UW-Stout