Support Alpha Phi’s Fight Against Heart Disease

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Heart disease is the leading cause of death for women in America; even higher than the deaths caused by cancer. Across the country, the Alpha Phi sorority foundation has made it their philanthropolic mission to raise awareness of this issue. The Alpha Phi chapter here at Stout wants to help support the fight against heart disease and cordially invites all Stout students to join them at their 8th annual Red Dress Gala. Various events are held around the nation by Alpha Phi which helped raised $2 million dollars last year for donations. The money Alpha Phi raises at this gala goes towards charitable projects that support the research, education, and awareness of women’s heart disease such as the Take Heart Take Part program and the Heart to Heart Grant supported by the Alpha Phi foundations. Last year Stout’s Alpha Phi chapter was able to contribute over $6,000 towards the cause and hopes that this year they can raise over $7,000.

The Red Dress Gala will be held in the Memorial Student Center’s Great Hall on Saturday, March 28. During the gala, there will be a dinner buffet served(,) followed by guest speaker Karen McChesney Howe, a current member of the board of directors for the Alpha Phi foundation as well as a UW-Stout alum. After the speech, the Red Dress Gala is hosting a fashion show featuring Stout students and their designs. Throughout the gala, a silent auction will be taking place with items that include Kate Spade purses, Naked makeup kits. There are also a signed Green Bay Packers’ signed football, and Minnesota Vikings paraphernalia for the men in attendance.

For people who wish to help Alpha Phi with this amazing cause there are still tickets being sold. Alpha Phi members will be selling tickets for the Red Dress Gala in the MSC at 11am-1pm through Friday for five dollars. However, tickets can still be purchased at the door the night of the gala for six dollars. The door will open for guests who wish to attend the dinner buffet at 5pm. People who are interested in the fashion show portion of the gala should arrive by 7:15 so they have time before the show starts at 7:30. The silent auction is going to be running throughout the evening with a couple short intermission periods during the speech and the fashion show. The members of Alpha Phi ask that attendants please dress in formal attire as the gala is being held as a formal event. For more information, feel free to ask any member of Alpha Phi on campus or visit the Alpha Phi Facebook page. 

Jessica is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout and is currently finishing a bachlor's degree in Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism. She has a specification in Health and Nutrition and would like to combine her fields to work in the health care setting as a social media coordinator or with public relations once she graduates collge in May 2015. "Every day I am inspired by words." You can follow Jessica on Twitter @jess_hovel.
Her Campus at UW-Stout