This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Spruce Up Your Room For Spring

After what seems to be an already endless winter, it just never seems to end. One day it’s 60 and sunny and the next 30 and snowing! During what I call “sprinter”, spring and winter combined, it’s hard to stay positive especially with this horrible weather. You’ve been cooped up all winter and you’re just ready for summer nights! Well in the mean time, here are 10 tips on how to spruce up your room for spring and lift your spirits.

1. Buy a Sun Lamp

Being stuck inside all winter can really get you down in the dumps, especially in horribly lit dorms rooms. So in order to reverse this, try buying a sun lamp! They’re proven to help brighten peoples’ moods during gloomy months.

2. Washi Tape

Washi tape is a great, non-permanent way to add color to any space! Try lining your bookshelves, wrapping your phone chargers, or make picture frames out of it! Check out some examples here!

3. Hang a Bright Tapestry

In dorms or even rentals painting isn’t allowed so by hanging a bright tapestry it adds some color to your otherwise bland space!

4. Potted Plants or Succulents

Get a pot and paint it to match your color scheme, or favorite color. Get colored vases and add succulents and flowers, real or fake, to add some spring like accents to your room! Some benefits of succulents are that it refreshes the air during the night by taking in CO2 and releasing oxygen while refreshing your room!

5. Add a Patterned or Colorful Rug

No doubt about it flooring is so drab and boring, especially in dorms, so add a pop of color with a super cute rug! It brightens a room while adding yet another personal touch. 

6. Colorful Storage Bins

Storage is huge when living in dorms, so why not make add a fun flare to it! Take your otherwise boring storage bins, a triangle stencil, and bright paint and go crazy! 

7. Accent Mirrors

Adding mirrors to a small space can make it seem bigger, reflect color, and create the illusion of depth! After being stuck in a small room all winter, why not open it up for the last few months!

8. String Lanterns

Hanging up these fun lights not only adds more light into your room but also gives you a little reminder of those summer nights that are so close, just a few more weeks!

9. Colorful Accent Pillows

First off, you can never have too many pillows! And second, this is a comfortable and cheap way to add a little spice to your room!

10. Spring Cleaning

They don’t call it spring cleaning for nothing, do it! Clean out your closet, drawers, everything and you’d be amazed how much lighter you feel! After being cooped up all winter it’s good to open up the windows, when it’s not 10 degrees outside, dust and clean away your stresses. 

Her Campus at UW-Stout