Should You Shop For Quality or Quantity?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

The inner battle over whether or not to shovel out those extra dollars on a single item has happened to all of us. As a college student it’s hard to justify any big dollar purchases. For example, it’s easier to defend a purchase of 10 items at Forever 21 for $90 than to spend that much money on one. But should quantity really be prioritized over quality? 

Items that you purchase at stores like Forever 21 and H&M are labeled as disposable fashion. They are trendy items that were cheap to produce and sell. Therefore, they have no lasting power. That’s why that cute top you bought to wear to a party is already falling apart. This is where we need to consider our spending in the long run.

We end up wasting money when we buy these items that lack longevity both in terms of style and durability. Instead of making rash purchases, you should begin to invest in your wardrobe. Look for clothing that come in classic shapes that never goes out of style. Pick from high quality fabrics that were finished correctly and aren’t likely to fall apart after being washed. Yes, these pieces are more expensive, but they are going to last you for years. By taking the time to carefully pick out your purchases you will find yourself appreciating your wardrobe. 

Olivia is a Professional Communications in Emerging Media student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout. Currently the Campus Correspondent for Stout's chapter, she hopes to find a career in journalism. Originally from Milwaukee, Olivia has put her city life on hold to follow her dreams. You can follow her at her Instagram or blog, Olivia Marie.
Her Campus at UW-Stout