burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Should You Buy That?: Your Guide to Rash Buying Decisions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Shopping is a great way to blow off steam, get out of the house, socialize with the outside world and spend way too much money. It seems like every store has a special deal or a limited time sale. Remember that when this sale ends, another one will probably start at the same store. To help save money, ask yourself a few questions before buying an item.

1. Do you own anything like it?

We all have a certain style, but if you find yourself with a similar blue v-neck blouse, sweater, t-shirt, sweatshirt, long sleeve shirt and 3/4 sleeve, it may be time to look for more unique items.

2. How often will you actually wear it?

It may be unique, but you don’t want an item you can only wear between 60 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit in the falltime when there is light rain falling and a slight breeze during the morning or late evening. 

3. Does it go with other items in your closet?

If you need to buy a whole outfit around one piece of clothing and it’s not your wedding or prom, pass on it.

4. Are you just buying it because it’s a good deal?

We all love a good sale, but remember that even if the shirt only costs $5, you’re still spending $5.

5. Do you feel pressure from friends, family or store employees to buy it?

When someone is encouraging you to buy an item, step back and think about if you’re the one who wants it.

6. Can you wear the piece for years, or is it a fast fashion piece?

Fast fashion is fun, but there’s a reason it has “fast” in its name. If you want to buy a fast fashion piece, buy it from an affordable clothing store. That way you can avoid spending too much on an item you won’t wear a year from now.

If an item passes all these questions (or you’re willing to make an exception), buy that piece and flaunt it.

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout