San Bernardino Shooting “An Act of Terrorism”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

On Wednesday, December 3, there was another mass shooting. This particular tragedy took place in San Bernardino, California.

The victims were attending an office Christmas party at the Inland Regional Center when the gunmen opened fire.

The shooters, Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik, were a married Muslim couple living in Redlands.

Syed Rizwan Farook (left) and Tashfeen Malik (right)

On the morning of the shooting Wednesday, the couple retrieved combat rifles and handguns from a secret arsenal after leaving their six-month-old daughter with Farook’s mother.

Farook, who worked at the office, briefly attended the party and left. He returned with his wife in full tactical gear and opened fire.

Fourteen people were killed and 21 more were wounded in the rampage.

The victims. They are top row left: Robert Adams, Isaac Amanios, Bennetta Betbadal, Harry Bowman and Sierra Clayborn. Second row from left: Juan Espinoza, Aurora Godoy, Shannon Johnson, Larry Daniel Kaufman and Damian Meins. Bottom row from left: Tin Nguyen, Nicholas Thalasinos, Yvette Velasco and Michael Wetzel. (Courtesy of family / Los Angeles Times)

Before the shooting, Malik pledged allegiance to the Islamic State on Facebook, leading the FBI to investigate the shooting as an act of terror.

President Obama gave an address from the Oval Office on Sunday, December, 6, about the incident. He insisted on sticking to his plan for dealing with terrorism and not escalating to a “ground war” against ISIS. 

Jack is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout, originally from Plymouth, Minnesota. He is majoring in Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a minor in Spanish.
Her Campus at UW-Stout