Recipes for Your Thanksgiving Leftovers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

If you want to try something new with the Thanksgiving leftovers taking up room in your kitchen, we’ve got just the recipes for you!

Turkey Casserole

Recipe courtesy of delish. Serves six. 

Ingredients: 8 tablespoons of divided vegtable oil, 1 large thinly sliced yellow onion, 4 cloves of minced garlic, 2 thinly sliced and seeded jalalpeños, 3 (10 ounce) cans of enchilada sauce, 12 small corn tortillas, 3 cups of cooked and shredded turkey meat, 1 (14 ounces) can of pinto beans that are drained and rinsed, 2 1/2 cup of shredded and divided Monterey jack, 3/4 cup of sour cream (more for serving), Kosher salt (as needed), 1/2 cup of cilantro leaves and tender stems, 3/4 cup of crumbled Cotija, and 1/4 cup of toasted pepitas. 

Directions: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Grease a large skillet with two tablespoons of oil in medium heat. Then add onion, garlic and jalalpeño, and cook until the onion is soft (approximately 5 minutes). Next, add the enchilada sauce and cook until it is slightly thickened (approximately 8 minutes). Also, heat the remaining 6 tablespoons of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until hot. Use tongs and dip each tortilla into the hot oil, and make sure to get it covered until pliable. Then transfer them to a plate lined with paper towel until ready. Use a medium bowl to combine your turkey, pinto beans, and two cups of Monterey jack. Add 1 cup of enchilada sauce mixture and 3/4 cup of sour cream and toss to combine, then season with salt as needed. Next, place 1 1/4 cups of enchilada sauce to a 9×13 inch baking dish and spread evenly across the bottom. Then add a small scoop of the turkey mixture in the center of a tortilla, and roll up and place seam side down in the dish of enchilada sauce. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas, and spread remaining enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle with remaining Monterey jack. Next, bake until the cheese is bubbling and melted (approximately 15 to 20 minutes). Pull everything together with a garnish of cilantro, cotija, pepitas, and sour cream. 

Turkey Enchiladas

Recipe courtesy of delish. Serves six. 

Ingredients: 2/3 cup breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup of freshly grated and divided parmesan, 6 tablespoons of divided butter (more for greasing), a pinch of Kosher salt, one small yellow onion (chopped), 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour, 4 cups of low-sodium chicken stock, 2 cups of shredded cheddar, 3 cups of cubed turkey (cooked), 8 ounces of cooked egg noodles, 1 cup of frozen peas, 3 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley (more for garnish), 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and freshly ground black pepper.  

Directions: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Using a medium bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup parmeasan, and 3 tablespoons of butter. Season as needed with salt. Then use a medium saucepan over medium heat, and melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Add the onions and mushrooms, and season with salt as needed. Stir until softened (approximately 6 minutes), and add flour. Stir for an additional minute, and then pur the stock into the saucepan and bring to boil. Let up the heat and simmer, stir until thickend (approximately 5 minutes). Then remove from heat and stir in the cheddar and remaining 1/2 cup of parmesan until melted. Next, add your turkey, noodles, peas, parsley, and lemon juice to the saucepan and season with salt and pepper as needed. Then brush a 9×13 inch baking dish with butter and scrape the turkey casserole mixture into the dish. Top with buttered breadcrumbs and bake until golden and bubbling (approximately 20 minutes). Finish it off with parsley before serving!

Turkey Cranberry Brie Grilled Cheese

Recipe courtesy of Lyuba Brooke. Serves one. 

Ingredients: 2 sllces of rye bread (seedless), 3-4 slices of roasted turkey breast, 3 ounces of Brie cheese (rind cut off, thinly sliced), and two tablespoons of cranberry sauce. 

Directions: Preheat a lightly greased medium pan over medium heat. Then place your bread in the pan and separate the brie slices amongst the two slices of bread. Let it melt. Next, layer the turkey breast over one slide of bread and then cranberry sauce on top of the turkey. Then cover with second slice of bread and press lightly. Finish off the grilled cheese when the bread is golden and the cheese is melted. Enjoy!

Thanksgiving leftovers are arguably the best ingredients on earth, and with any luck, you’ll find a new favorite recipe for them!

Stephanie Zengler is a Business Administration major and Communication Studies minor, and she completely understands if you think her last name is actually Ziegler. Like a lot of business majors, Stephanie has a favorite Andrew Carnegie quote, and like a good communication minor, has very strong opinions on the Oxford comma. Aside from being a Stout student, Stephanie is an avid fan of Bay Area sports, Fleetwood Mac, and the amazingly perfect show Dollface.