Real Girls Making Their Own Jewelry, and How You Can Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

If you’re like myself, you are always on the look out for unique jewelry pieces that make a statement. Except it seems like every store at the mall is selling the same designs. By creating your own pieces, you can make jewelry that is personalized and truly represents your style.

Zipper Bracelet

Your old set of bangles just don’t have the same charm as they use to. But by taking a zipper and turning it into an interactive bracelet, you can create a much more modern accessory. By adding studs or chains you can give it a fashion forward look.

Infinity Ring

This ring is to infinity and beyond! A simple accessory can add a delicate touch to your look. All you need is some wire and a pair of pliers to make yours. You could also turn it into a midi-ring to by making the ring smaller.

Lace Necklace

This lace necklace has a real vintage charm. Antique jewelry can be pricy, but you can recreate the same vibe for very little. You can make your own with only a few scraps of lace.

Real Girls Who Took Their Crafting to the Next Level

Everybody takes a turn at her own DIY projects, but there are those that take it a step further. Several ladies took their passion for constructing jewelry to the next level and created their own businesses while in college. Never being able to find what they wanted in stores, they began creating their own accessories. Selling their creations online, these ladies made some cash on the side by doing what they love. 

Adam Rabbit

Never being able to find what she was looking for, Etsy seller Ashley created Adam Rabbit to customize her own personal designs. Her outlet to dealing with the stress of grad school became an online business that sells organic jewelry that is made up of raw crystals interpreted into modern designs.

Moorea Seal

Moorea was a 5th year college student when she first established her company. During her time as an assistant to a local sculptor, she first realized her love for creating 3D designs. She first began selling her designs on Etsy as she solidified her brand. Years later she has opened her own store that sells modern-boho designs.

Origami Owl

Isabella Weems was only 14 years old when she created Origami Owl. Wanting to earn money to buy that car for her 16th, she began selling handmade lockets from her home. She now formed her own company that allows customers to chose and personalize their own locket.

Olivia is a Professional Communications in Emerging Media student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout. Currently the Campus Correspondent for Stout's chapter, she hopes to find a career in journalism. Originally from Milwaukee, Olivia has put her city life on hold to follow her dreams. You can follow her at her Instagram or blog, Olivia Marie.
Her Campus at UW-Stout