This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

It is undeniable that there is social stigma surrounding menstruation. We have been sent messages our entire lives that it’s something we should hide and something to be ashamed of. It’s time for those messages to stop and for this stigma to end.

Anyone who has gone through a basic sex education course would know that menstruation, or periods, are 100% NORMAL. Despite this, we’re often fed harmful myths about periods, including the idea ALL women and ONLY women can menstruate, which is probably the most harmful myth of all. Periods are rarely, if ever, openly talked about in media. These discussions are usually hush-hush, and almost always include euphemisms. It’s hard not to see how the way society treats menstruation is harmful, and from this, the period positivity movement began.

So, what exactly does the period positivity movement aim to do? I’m so happy you asked! The period positivity movement aims to end the stigma surrounding menstruation in our society by getting people talking. Through open discussions and education about periods, it becomes possible to raise awareness about menstrual health, menstrual hygiene, and some of the issues people who menstruate face.

Another aim of the movement is making hygiene products equally accessible to all individuals. This is something that, at the present moment, we are far from. There has been a lot of talk lately about the “tampon tax”. Menstrual hygiene products are taxed as a “luxury item” in forty states, including Wisconsin – a fact that President Obama was completely unaware of until a few weeks ago. The average person who menstruates will spend roughly $2,250 on products in their lifetime (there is a bit of fluctuation depending on what products one prefers). Because of how expensive these products are, it limits the accessibility for low-income and homeless individuals. In an effort to combat this, some companies have started a one-for-one campaign, like the Conscious Company out of California. For every pack of hygiene products purchased they give another pack to an individual in need.

It’s important to realize that period positivity loses all of its worth when it’s not inclusive. Luckily, making your period positivity inclusive is pretty simple! All you need to remember is four main points.

1. Menstruation is not limited to women! Transgender men, non-binary, and agender folks menstruate as well. Often times menstruation is equated with womanhood and femininity – an ideal that only perpetuates cissexism and gender-essentialism.

2. Not all women menstruate! In fact, not all women even have uteruses. This can be true for a number of reasons. Reducing what it means to be a woman down to biology is extremely misogynistic – and that’s not what period positivity is about!

3. Always respect people who aren’t comfortable openly talking about periods. Just because you’re comfortable talking about something doesn’t mean that everyone has to be.

4. Be mindful of how financially barring access to hygiene products can be. You may love your menstrual cup, but remember that there are some individuals who may not even have access to pads or tampons.

The period positivity movement is proving to be an important step in the right direction. Through discussions, education, openness, honesty, and inclusivity, we can all end to destigmatize menstruation in our society one cycle at a time!

Her Campus at UW-Stout