This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

A local Menomonie warehouse was transformed into a stylish, trendy runway this past Saturday to display the clothing lines of seven seniors in the Apparel Design and Development major. Outset Senior Showcase is a chance for these UW-Stout designers to flaunt their countless hours of innovation, creation, and hard work. Each designer’s line has an inspiration that makes it spunky and unique.

One collection in particular, the lör/ah collection, caught my eye during the event. This line of clothing was designed by Laura Steinkopf, incorporating her active background with a feminine twist. Her line was inspired by athletic wear inside and out of the gym.  Designed for women who like the comfort of athletic wear, Steinkopf brought “athleisure” wear to “athlovely” wear.  Her desire is to bring absolute comfort to formal wear.  She highlights the natural curves of a woman’s body in her designs to show a confident woman in tune with her body. Steinkopf wants women to feel empowered, sexy and yet comfortable when they wear her designs.

I was able to interview Laura Reiter, a model for the lör/ah collection, to get an inside look at the production. Here’s the inside scoop:

HC: How are models chosen to walk to Outset runway?

LR: There was a model-call in the fall  so that the seniors could choose their models. Each designer has a different vision for their line, so they all have a different vision of what people are going to represent their clothes well. Laura Steinkopf was already a friend of mine, so I was able snag a spot in her lineup.

HC: What was the process of preparing for the show for you as a model?

LR: Once models were chosen, we initially met with our designers two times a week for measurements. From there on out it was construction and deconstruction of the dress until it fit perfectly. Steinkopf’s professors examined and critiqued the dress as well as my hair and makeup to help her perfect the look.

HC: What was your favorite part of this experience?

LR: Once all of the pieces in the collection were finished, the other models and I got to participate in a photoshoot to show off Steinkopf’s masterpieces. Since the collection was inspired by athletic formal wear, I was able to do part of my photoshoot in a CrossFit gym. Lifting weights in a dress- the best of both worlds!

HC: What was your least favorite part of this experience?

LR: While practicing walking the runway, the tall, skinny heels given to me proved to be more difficult to walk in than I’d hoped. My ankles kept giving out on me and I thought for sure that I’d fall on the day of the show!

HC: What’s one thing you learned throughout this process?

LR: The Apparel Design and Development major is no walk in the park. These people don’t sleep… ever. I gained a lot of respect for how much work goes into the process and how much patience it takes to reach a final product. The collections in this showcase were just a stepping stone to a long, successful career for these ladies!

Her Campus at UW-Stout