The Nevada Caucus and South Carolina Primary; What Happened?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Last Saturday was huge day for the 2016 presidential race. In South Carolina, Donald Trump came out ahead in the Republican primary with 32% of the vote, ahead of Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio who effectively tied with 22.3% and 22.5% respectively. This primary took another casualty, as Jeb Bush, finishing fourth with less than 8% of the vote, decided to suspend his campaign.

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, left, with his wife, Columba, as Bush announces he is suspending his campaign. 

“The people of Iowa and New Hampshire and South Carolina have spoken, and I really respect their decision,” said Bush during the announcement Saturday night.

In Nevada, Hillary Clinton defeated Bernie Sanders 52.6% to 47.3%. Low turnouts meant less young voters, which Sanders was counting on to give him a push to victory.

Hillary Clinton after her win at the Nevada caucus.

Moving forward, the GOP race seems to favor Trump who is surging ahead after two major primary wins. Meanwhile, Cruz and Rubio are essentially tied, and until one of them drops out, that probably won’t change. For the Democrats, Clinton seems to hold the advantage for now, but Sanders is steadily gaining on her. However, the race is still early, and there is a long way to go before anyone is getting a nomination.   

Jack is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout, originally from Plymouth, Minnesota. He is majoring in Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a minor in Spanish.
Her Campus at UW-Stout