This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Coming to UW-Stout, I had no idea that I would end up becoming so involved in athletics. I had never really played any sports and I certainly wasn’t looking to here. But, I did end up on the football field and basketball court for nearly every home game, though not as a player. In case you haven’t noticed, there’s usually always one group of people at all of the home sporting events, the cheerleaders. That’s right, my freshman year at Stout I joined the Cheer and Stunt Team and I never regretted it for one second.

Bet you can’t guess which one I am

Regardless of whether or not you think cheerleading is a sport (it is), joining the squad has allowed me to be closer to the action than anybody in the stands. Not to mention it’s kind of forced me to get more excited about sports, and increased my school spirit. Because of being involved in Stout’s athletics program, I’ve gotten to meet tons of people that I probably wouldn’t have anywhere else. Most of my best friends are people I’ve met through cheer, and it even led to me meeting my girlfriend!

Being involved in athletics here has allowed me to push my boundaries, physically and mentally, and has given me experiences I will remember for the rest of my life. I had never really done anything competitive before starting cheer, and when I found that cheerleading competitions were a thing, I was kind of nervous. However, after participating in competitive cheer for three years, I have not only gained a new appreciation for athletes in lesser known sports, but also gained the knowledge that I can push through adversity and succeed if I really set my mind to it.

The athletic community here at Stout is great, and if anyone is considering joining a sport, do it! In fact, join any of the many different clubs, organizations, or teams here. They are awesome and you will not regret it. Do things that are out of your comfort zone, because hey what’s the worst that could happen? Speaking from experience, if you don’t try, you’ll never know what you might be missing.  

Jack is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout, originally from Plymouth, Minnesota. He is majoring in Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a minor in Spanish.
Her Campus at UW-Stout