This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Being on your period sucks. With birth control you only have it three times a year, but is it worth it? 

For me personally, it’s worth it. The whole point I got birth control was for my periods. When I’m menstruating, my medication doesn’t work and I get sick. It got so bad that I would be bedridden and missing school. My depression and anxiety would be at it’s worst. Then I got birth control, and felt relief.

While my birth control does stop me from bleeding, I still feel some of the same side effects of being on my period. I still get cramps but I don’t feel as sick as I usually would. I wish I didn’t have to still have aches and cramps, but it is what it is. I need my medication to work and so I still use birth control. 

When I do have my period, it sucks a lot. I don’t miss school much anymore since it’s college and I can’t afford to miss class (art student struggles). But I am glad that with birth control I don’t have to suffer every month. If I had to have my period every month I would not be pleased. 

I would recomend getting birth control if you have bad periods and are noticing that menstruation affects your medication. If you have light periods with minimal cramps (lucky) you probably won’t see many benefits with taking the pill. 

If you are thinking of getting birth control, talk to your doctor or gynecologist. Be honest with them on your reasoning for wanting birth control, and they can help you find your best fit. While some brands may work for others, it may not work for you.

DISCLAIMER: This is all my personal experience and does not reflect everyone

Hannah Plitzner

UW Stout '23

I'm a college freshman going into Entertainment Design! I like movies, dogs, and drawing. My pronouns are she/her.
Her Campus at UW-Stout