Meet the New Royal Princess!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

With the birth of the new royal princess, America has once again been thrown into British Royal fever. The birth of the daughter of Prince William and Princess Catherine, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, has been broadcasted on local news stations, written about on daily news outlets, and talked about in lines at grocery stores across the nation. Jumping on this royal craze wagon, here are a few facts about the new Royal Princess Charlotte.

1. She was born a week late.

According to the Palace, Princess Kate’s original due date was estimated for April 25. However, the day came and went and still no sign of the next royal baby. The birth of Prince George, Prince William and Princess Kate’s first child, happened with little issue and Kate was insisting on this next one happening as natural as possible. Rumors of an induced labor were swirling around the gossip columns, but they were ruled untrue as the Princess Charlotte was born the following Saturday, May 2.

2. She is the first royal princess born in twenty-four years.

The last time we have been able to celebrate the birth of a royal princess was twenty-five years ago when Princess Eugenie of York was born to Prince Andrew and Sarah, Duchess of York (Prince Andrew is William’s uncle.) So it is high time that the palace gets to be decorated in pink!

3. She is fourth in line for the throne.

This girl won’t have to worry about running the world any time soon. After her grandfather, Prince Charles, her father, Prince William, and her brother, Prince George, Princess Charlotte now holds the fourth claim to the British throne. This sadly also knocks Prince Harry farther down the line to be fifth in line for the head of the monarchy (Don’t worry Harry, we still think you’re handsome and a hard working philanthropist.)

4. Her name has a lot of family and royal meanings behind it.

The new royal baby’s official title is Her Royal Highness Princess Charlotte Elizabeth of Cambridge (that mouthful almost give Daenerys Targaryen Stormborn,The Unburnt, Mother of Dragons and the Breaker of Chains a run for her money!) Charlotte is supposedly a nod to her grandfather’s name Charles. It is also the middle name of her aunt Pippa Middleton as well as her maternal grandmother Carole and has been used as a name within the British monarchy since the 17th century. Elizabeth is obviously a nod to her famous great-grandmother the Queen Elizabeth II who has held the head of the British monarchy longer than any other ruling figurehead in British history. The only other one who comes close is Queen Elizabeth I, daughter of infamous King Henry VIII and his second wife, equally infamous Anne Boleyn. Needless to say, having your middle name have that much power behind holds pretty high standards for your future. Speaking of which, the final name Diana is clearly in honor of the late Princess Diana, Prince William’s mother. Diana was known as the People’s Princess and throughout her life strived to bring awareness to various world issues.

As the new princess is already been deemed to follow in her late grandmother’s footsteps by British news and its people, only time will tell. However, the Royal Princess Charlotte will surely be in the world spotlight for her entire life, and with the likes of her parents and family members guiding her, will enter it with grace and surely dazzle everyone.

Jessica is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout and is currently finishing a bachlor's degree in Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism. She has a specification in Health and Nutrition and would like to combine her fields to work in the health care setting as a social media coordinator or with public relations once she graduates collge in May 2015. "Every day I am inspired by words." You can follow Jessica on Twitter @jess_hovel.
Her Campus at UW-Stout