prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Meet Her Campus Social Media Director, Rachel Grace Kolias

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Name: Rachel Grace Kolias

Major: Professional Communication and Emerging Media

Year: Junior

Hometown: Saint Paul

HC Position: Social Media Director

Member Since: March 2014

HC: Why did you choose to attend UW-Stout?

Rachel Grace Kolias: I was interested in the Professional Communication and Emerging Media major because it was so specific and unique. When I sat down with Matt Livesey, the program director, I knew it was the right fit.  I also really like the creative and innovative students that Stout seems to attract and the focus on professional experience.

HC: What’s your favorite part of being the social media director?

RK: I love seeing our organization grow through social media.  It’s so much fun seeing page views and likes increase and seeing a positive response.  I also read every article when I post it to social media and really enjoy that.

HC: How did you hear about HC UW-Stout?

RK: I heard about Her Campus in high school and when I found out (probably through social media!) that Lo was starting a chapter at Stout I jumped on it.

HC: What made you want to get involved?

RK: I wanted to gain experience with social media because it is primarily what I would like to do upon graduating.  I also thought Her Campus was a great addition to Stout and love the types of articles that are written and wanted to support the organization. 

HC: What kind of advice would you give someone in a social media director position to connect content and current events in a relevant way?

RK: It is important to think about what will catch your audience’s attention and I do this by being conscious about what I personally view on social media and by tracking what posts do well and have a good response.  Timing your posts right and at relevant times is also really important.

HC: What’s your favorite social media site to post on-as the HC UW-Stout’s social media director?

RK: Twitter.  I like coming up with short and clever posts that are also engaging. 

HC: How do you manage your time with school and a social life along with posting?

RK: I have to incorporate it into my schedule.  I usually post in between classes and again after dinner and now it is just a habit!

HC: How are you going to use this experience in your future career?

RK: I now have actual experience with social media that I can apply to my future career.  I have learned a lot about written communication and how to engage with an audience creatively.  Also, working for a national magazine looks really good on a resume!

SPEED ROUND:

Celeb Crush: Ian Somerhalder

Favorite Ice Cream: Salted Caramel

Favorite App: Spotify

Favorite HC Section: Blog

Allison, Currently student at U of Wisconsin-Stout major in Human Development Studies. Hometown Minneapolis MN- it's been a big change from big city MN to small town WI. Huge fan of teacup pigs and anything furry. Always on the move, type of person you can hear before you see.