Meet GreenSense President, Becky Carroll

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Name: Becky Carroll

Year: Junior

Major: Applied Science-Biotechnology

Hometown: St. Paul, MN

1.Why did you choose Stout?

I chose Stout because I fell in love with campus, especially the labs in Jarvis Hall. It’s really cliché but after touring Stout I knew I was coming here. Also, I was on the volleyball team here freshman year so that was also a big factor in my decision.

2.What’s your favorite thing about Stout?

My favorite thing about Stout is the campus. There are so many fun things to get involved with and do on campus. I love when the weather gets nice and everyone is out enjoying the great spaces we have.

3.Can you tell Her Campus a little bit about GreenSense?

GreenSense is Stout’s oldest environmental organization. We strive to educate the student body on how to live greener on/off campus. We also do a lot of fun outdoor activities like hiking the red cedar trail! We have an adopted highway that we clean up every semester, as well as doing frequent campus clean ups.  We also host an annual Earth Fair on Earth Day (April 22nd), to celebrate the Earth and what we can do to live greener!

4. Has the club been successful so far?

I think it has done really well. I feel that even though we might not be one of the most well-known orgs on campus we definitely have a core group of members and goals that we strive to fulfill.

5.How does this club benefit Stout?

GreenSense benefits Stout in that we try to make the campus a greener place. Not only through clean-ups but through education.  Stout has a great recycling/composting program and I make it my goal to help the student population know how to use it properly.

6.What else are you involved in on campus?

I am the student outreach coordinator as well as a student ambassador for the Applied Science program, so I give lots of tours of Jarvis and help plan and run STEM events on campus.  I also play intramurals as often as I can!

7.What are your plans after graduation?

That is really still up in the air.  I think as of right now I am looking to go right into industry work rather than going to get my masters right away. I don’t know in what aspect of biology I would get a masters in so I think getting experience in an industry lab will help me decide what I want to focus on. Regardless, I known I will be working in a lab.

Speed Round

Favorite ice cream: I’ll eat any ice cream-but the more toppings the better!

Favorite band: Children 18:3

Dream date: “That’s a tough one. I’d have to say April 25th. Because it’s not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket.” –Miss Congeniality

Favorite holiday: Christmas!

Molly is a freshman at UW-Stout, majoring in professional communication and emerging media with a concentration in journalism. She is originally from Rosemount, MN. Molly is a pop culture junkie, dancer, singer, actress, and coffee lover. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout