Meet A Girl With A Million Titles – Mariah Brings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Meet the girl with a million titles. Some know her as the Her Campus Assistant Editor and photographer. Some know her best in her Fleet Farm uniform operating a forklift, or as the charismatic and welcoming bartender at The Abby. Many know her as a spirited photographer and a small business owner. But, most everyone knows her as the fun-loving, outspoken, hilarious girl on campus who’s never afraid to give her two cents. Meet this week’s Campus Celeb – Mariah Brings! 

Name: Mariah Brings

Major: Supply Chain Management and Business Administration

Year: Junior

Hometown: Buffalo, MN

HC Position: Assistant Editor/Photographer

HC: Why did you choose to attend UW-Stout?

MB: It was kind of a fluke that I ended up here. I had applied to 13 schools and got accepted, but in the end Stout gave me the most options, and considering I had/have no idea what I want to do, it was the smart choice. I certainly don’t regret it at all.

HC: What do you like most about Stout?

MB: I think what I like most about Stout is the diversity. Everyone here is free to be who they want, do what they want, and have the opinions that they want. You don’t find that on every campus.  

HC: How did you get involved in Her Campus?

MB: I knew what Her Campus was before I joined and was always sort of interested in it. My friend sophomore year convinced me to join and be apart of a little video bit, and before I knew it, I was an editor!

HC: You’re clearly have a knack for photography, how did you get started with that?

MB: I started with photography when I was in tenth grade. My yearbook teacher was a huge influence on me. Since I picked up a camera, I was pretty much hooked! Now, I have my own small business, and I am doing what I love.

HC: What’s your favorite thing(s) to photograph? Why?

MB: I absolutely love photographing people. People are always so interesting and different, and I obviously love the conversation. I think it’s really cool when you get a subject that is pretty camera shy, and you’re able to bring them out of their shell and make them feel comfortable. Presenting someone with an image of them that they really love is an incredible feeling.

HC: What/who inspires you?

MB: I guess I’m inspired by a lot of different people and a lot of different things. I’m so indecisive though, so my inspirations come on a day-to-day basis.

HC: What are your plans and aspirations for the future?

MB: Well right now, aside from my small business, I am deeply involved with a company called Project 309. They are an up and coming clothing/design company that sponsor a bunch of different artists. It’s been really great to be apart of something that I know will be a huge success. Other than that, I really don’t know what the future holds for me. As of today, I know I want to travel a lot after graduation, meet a lot of people and just be overall happy in life.

SPEED ROUND

Favorite Place in Menom: The Abbey Pub & Grub (Place has some killer sandwiches.)

Favorite TV Show: Scandal

Dream Vacation Destination: Fiji

Favorite App: Instagram

Dream Job: Be my own business owner, which hopefully wouldn’t feel like a job at all. :) 

Jackie is currently a UW-Stout junior pursing a major in Professional Communications and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism, working towards a career in Public Relations. Jackie is the Campus Correspondent, as well as a Feature and Campus Celebrity writer for the UW-Stout chapter. Originally from the east coast, Jackie has lived in the unfavorably cold state of Minnesota for most of her life. She enjoys blogging, music, spending time with her friends and family, cheering on her favorite MA sports teams, comedies, and simply getting up and being active. Jackie has many plans and aspirations, but has just begun her future as a writer.