Meet Fashion Guru – Francis Barriga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Name: Francis Barriga

Major: Retail Merchandise Management

Year: Senior

Hometown: Lino Lakes, MN

HC: What made you decide to go to UW-Stout?

FB:  I actually transferred in the middle of my freshman year to join the retail program. The retail program at Stout is really strong, and not many other schools have a strong retail program. 

HC: What’s your favorite thing about Stout?

FB: I really love how everyone is so nice and friendly! It’s so easy to meet people, especially with all the different orgs on campus.

HC: How are you involved on campus?

FB: I am the President of the Stout Retail Association. I also am a Love Your Melon Campus Ambassador, and I’ve been a member of the Dance Ensemble.

HC: How did you decide to pursue a Retail Merchandising and Management major?

FB:  I’ve always had an interest in the fashion industry. My dream is to open up my own fashion boutique and I knew that having this major would help me achieve that.

HC: What kind of things does the Stout Retail Association have planned for the year?

FB: We have so many fun events planned for this year! In October we will be doing a Minnesota trip, where we get to visit Valley Fair and get a “behind the scenes” tour and stay for Valley Scare. We also will be making a trip out to Chicago to visit a few retail corporate offices and get to know the city!

HC: What are your plans and aspirations for the future?

FB: My plan is to work in a retail corporate office for a few year as a buyer or product developer. Then once I’ve gained enough experience, I plan on opening up my own boutique in Minneapolis!

SPEED ROUND

Favorite Spot on Campus: The seats near the fireplace at the fireside café

Favorite Movie: Jurassic World

Favorite App: Pinterest

One Word Your Friends Use to Describe You: Crafty (thanks to Pinterest!)

Jackie is currently a UW-Stout junior pursing a major in Professional Communications and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism, working towards a career in Public Relations. Jackie is the Campus Correspondent, as well as a Feature and Campus Celebrity writer for the UW-Stout chapter. Originally from the east coast, Jackie has lived in the unfavorably cold state of Minnesota for most of her life. She enjoys blogging, music, spending time with her friends and family, cheering on her favorite MA sports teams, comedies, and simply getting up and being active. Jackie has many plans and aspirations, but has just begun her future as a writer.
Her Campus at UW-Stout