Meet Campus Celebrity – Sally Luikart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Name: Sally Luikart

Major: Retail Merchandising and Management

Year: Senior

Hometown: Lino Lakes, Minnesota

HC: What made you choose to attend UW-Stout?

SL: I decided to enroll at UW-Stout because I had heard positive feedback about their retail program along with I liked the idea of a polytechnic university where everything is very hands-on because that is how I work best.

HC: What is your favorite thing about Stout?

SL: I really have enjoyed my program and getting to know other students within the program along with how the university really pushes students to gain experience with their time here to help further your own future.

HC: How are you involved on campus?

SL: I have been very actively involved on campus. I am currently the Vice President of the Stout Retail Association, along with being a Campus Ambassador for Love your Melon. I also am part of UW-Stout Dance Ensemble and I had the opportunity to choreograph this semester, and last year I had the opportunity to serve on the executive board of Dance Ensemble. I am the team captain for Relay for Life with the Stout Retail Association. I also had the opportunity to serve on the Career Conference Executive Committee along with working in Career Services on campus. You could say that I keep myself busy!

HC: How did you decide to major in Retail?

SL: My mom and aunt have owned a retail boutique for the past 18 years and I have had the opportunity to work for them for the past 6 years in the store along with going on local and national buying trips. After having the opportunity to learn how to buy products for a business, I was so excited to hear that I could do this one day for my full-time job! Ever since I had made my decision to pursue my passion in retail I have tried to gain as much retail experience as possible and have never looked back.

HC: Tell us a little bit about your role in the Stout Retail Association (SRA) and your favorite parts about the organization.

SL: As Vice President, I am responsible for planning 5 volunteer events a semester for our members in the community of Menomonie and on campus. I also had the opportunity to plan and prepare everything that goes into Relay for Life this spring as SRA’s team captain. Along with planning volunteer events, I also help the President with any executive decisions for the organization. I have loved everything about SRA and what it has had to offer. I have grown so much as a leader and as a person from this organization. I have been able to travel and visit several retail headquarters and learn what I want to do after college to begin my career. Along with networking with industry professionals, I have gotten to work alongside very passionate driven students.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about being involved in Dance Ensemble?

SL:  Dance will always be another passion of mine. I had such a hard time giving up dance after high school, but once I learned about Dance Ensemble I was so excited to continue doing what I love. I love that this organization is open and accepts any talent of dancer who just wants to better themselves as a dancer. I enjoyed getting to meet other members that enjoy dancing just as much as myself. I was sad to have danced my last recital this past weekend, but I am also excited I don’t have to give up my passion yet because I get the opportunity to help coach my old high school dance team this upcoming year!

HC: How do you balance such a busy schedule?

SL:  That is a great question. I am a very organized person, so I stay pretty on top of what I need to complete for the upcoming weeks. There are times I get worn out, but I have really enjoyed getting involved on campus and I am constantly reminding myself that all of the extra organizations I participate in will only help better me for the future.

HC: What are your plans and aspirations for the future?

SL: I am sad college is coming to an end, but I am excited for the next chapter. After graduation I will begin my career at Made for Retail, which is a smaller retail company that completes Product Development for Target. I will begin as a Product Development Coordinator with Made for Retail in Minneapolis. I am very excited to move back to Minnesota. I also hope to gain experience to help me one day move up to a Product Manager and eventually a VP of a category within a company!

SPEED ROUND:

Favorite spot on campus: MSC Fireside

Favorite app: Instagram

Favorite store: Primp Boutique

One word your friends use to describe you: Positive

Jackie is currently a UW-Stout junior pursing a major in Professional Communications and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism, working towards a career in Public Relations. Jackie is the Campus Correspondent, as well as a Feature and Campus Celebrity writer for the UW-Stout chapter. Originally from the east coast, Jackie has lived in the unfavorably cold state of Minnesota for most of her life. She enjoys blogging, music, spending time with her friends and family, cheering on her favorite MA sports teams, comedies, and simply getting up and being active. Jackie has many plans and aspirations, but has just begun her future as a writer.