Meet Campus Celebrity: Anne Cops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

I had the pleasure to sit down with Stout’s own Anne Cops- a bright, innovative Apparel Design student who is passionate about her work. Anne has the potential to do great things in her future and has already made some big accomplishments during her time at Stout!

Name: Anne Cops

Year: Senior

Major: Apparel Design and Development

Minors: Business Administration and Spanish

Hometown: Kaukauna, WI

HC: How did you decide to major in apparel design?

AC: I have always loved art and I knew I wanted to use my creativity in my future career. I was debating between graphic design or interior design, but I like fashion so that is why I choose it. For business, I have always been interested in having my own business someday. My dad owns his own company which has inspired me, but also knowing about business really helps in the fashion industry in lots of ways!

HC: You recently received national recognition for a swimsuit design. How did you find out about the competition? What was the process like?

AC: My professor introduced the competition and my class submitted our own designs. Submitting the design was a fairly easy process. I was notified in May that I won. I got $100 and a $50 gift card for spoonflower (a website where you can design your own print, upload it and have it printed on fabric).

HC: I love that your swimsuit design is centered around women’s safety. What is one thing you hope to accomplish with your career?

AC: I hope that with my critical thinking skills I’ll be able to solve problems through ways that garments would fix. In a class I am taking right now called Functional Design, my group and I are working on submitting a design that looks at changing the straps of a car seat for children. We are looking at different materials and the design of a car seat as ways that could prevent deaths during car accidents.  A lot of children could die or have serious internal injuries even when they are in a car seat if the seatbelt causes injuries or if the child is buckled in wrong. We are looking at shock absorbing material or foam to reduce the impact in a car crash.

HC: How are you involved on campus at UW- Stout?

AC: I am involved with WEAR Student Fashion Association. I am involved with the fashion show. Last Spring semester I put in a mini collection of 3 different outfits that I designed. I made some stuff in my classes and more stuff to go with it. This year I will be working on my senior collection that has to be 4 outfits. It’s a lot of work!

HC: What is has been your favorite memory at Stout?

AC: My favorite memory would be seeing my models walk the runway in the clothes I designed last spring for the fashion show. It was a really great feeling!

HC: What is something you are most proud of?

AC: I have been working with my program director as her assistant for 3 years and I am proud of being recognized by her my freshman year and having her want to hire me. It has helped me grow a lot of ways and get to know people in the industry.

HC: You have a busy schedule, what is your key to managing it?

AC: Well, in high school I always had a job and in the summers I worked at two different positions. So I’ve been pretty used to staying busy and I like being busy. I am really good at prioritizing things. I make lists and do the highest priority things first.

HC: What is your favorite thing about Stout?

AC: What I love about Stout is that employers know about Stout. They like to recruit people from Stout; we have a good reputation.

HC: Tell us one thing that people don’t know about you?

AC: I am one of six kids, for some reason people tend to think I’m an only child! But I’m the second oldest in my family.

Speed Round

Favorite food: Mexican

Favorite store: Urban Outfitters

Favorite drink: Lemonade

Hobbies: Mosaic (She won a local competition in high school for a mosaic picture), sewing, stamp carving, embroidery, jewelry making, and hand knitting

Music Genre: hip hop or top hits

All photos courtesy of Anne Cops  

Vanessa studies Early Childhood Education at the University of Wisconsin- Stout. She hails from southeastern Minnesota and currently lives with her fiance in Wisconsin. She is the proud dog mom of 2 fur babies, Marley and Daisy.
Her Campus at UW-Stout