Meet 2014 Dance Ensemble’s Executive Board Members

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Board members left to right: Sarah Ziegler, Carly Williamson, Leah Haggberg, Sally Luikart, Averie Robertson, Jeanette VonHaden

Name: Carly Williamson

Position of Exec Board: President

Year: 5th Year Senior

Hometown: Amery, Wisconsin

Favorite style of dance: Hmmm… Hip Hop

Name: Averie Robertson

Position of Exec Board: Secretary

Year: Senior

Hometown: Tomah, Wisconsin

Favorite style of dance: Lyrical

Name: Sarah Ziegler

Position of Exec Board: Public Relations

Year: Senior

Hometown: Janesville

Favorite style of dance: Hip Hop

Name: Sally Luikart

Position of Exec Board: Co-Chair

Year: Junior

Hometown: Lino Lakes, MN

Favorite style of dance: Jazz and Kick

Name: Jeanette VonHaden

Position of Exec Board: Co-Chair

Year: Junior

Hometown: Tomah, Wisconsin

Favorite style of dance: Jazz

Name: Leah Haggberg

Position of Exec Board: Treasurer

Year: Junior

Hometown: Otsego, MN

Favorite style of dance: High Kick

1. How long has Dance Ensemble been a club?

CW: Since Fall 2009

AR:  Fall 2009 was the first semester

JV:    Fall 2009

SL:    I believe since 2009.

LH: We’ve been a club since Fall Semester of 2009 I believe.

2. Can you give us a summary of what Dance Ensemble is and it’s purpose?

CW: Dance Ensemble gives everyone the opportunity to dance. We have members that have never danced and want to try something new to members that have danced since they could walk. We provide different types of dance styles to choose from and perform a recital at the end of each semester.

AR:  ​DE is all about having fun and trying new things. It is our mission to provide an opportunity for UW Stout students to learn and perform a dance, and to make friends and have fun!

JV: Dance Ensemble is an organization that allows students of any background or knowledge of dance to pursue their passion. We work hard all semester towards one recital where everyone shows off their hard work and talent!

SL:  Dance Ensemble is an open club for all levels of dancers who want to continue dancing without a large commitment. We accept any type of dancer and style. Some dancers have been dancing for 14+ years and some this is their first year, that is what is so unique about our club. We want to help them grow as a dancer in a fun/safe environment. 

SZ: Dance Ensemble is a fun club where all levels of dancers can participate whether you have been doing it for years or just wanting to try it out. It is a good way to get together and share your love for dance.

3. Can anyone join DE?

CW: YES! We believe that anyone can dance! If you have ever been interested in dancing please join us this spring semester!

AR: We accept everyone! 

JV:   Anyone can join DE, I think that’s what’s great about us! Anyone can join whether you’ve been dancing since you could walk or just want to try it out because it looks like fun.

SL: Yes, it is open to all UW-Stout students. 

LH: Anyone is welcome to come to our open tryouts at the beginning of each semester! It doesn’t matter if you’ve never danced before or if you are an expert, we would love to have you be a part of our passion!

SZ: YES! We encourage anyone to come and join.

4. What made you want to become a part of the executive board for DE?

CW: I have enjoyed choreographing previous semesters and wanted a different way to inspire others through dance. Being on a board is a great way to experience team work in an enjoyable setting.

AR: Dancing has always been a huge part of my life, so I joined DE my first semester at Stout. I joined the board as a way to be as involved as possible with the club and as a way to share my love of dance with others.

JV: I have been a member of Dance Ensemble since I first came to Stout as a freshman. It gave me a place to belong and through this org I made so many lifelong friends. Because of this I wanted to give back and being part of the Exec board is the perfect opportunity.

SL:  I’ve always had a passion for dance with being dedicated to my high school dance team, I was ready to take a leadership role in this organization. I wanted to share my passion with other dancers in the club and be a guidance to help them grow and learn. 

LH: I wanted to be on the board for dance ensemble because dance is something I truly love to do. When I heard there was an open position AND that it would be a good boost to my resume I couldn’t pass it up.

SZI wanted to have an opportunity to use my design skills in a setting outside of class. This has been a fun experience filled with a lot of leadership and teamwork.

5. What is your favorite part of being on the executive board?

CW: Coming up with the theme for each semester and being able to be on a board with friends.

AR: It’s my second year on the board and I think my favorite thing is seeing the new board members take charge and become better leaders. I’m excited to see where they take the club after I’m gone!

JV: I love being a part of Exec board! This is my first semester being on the board but so far my favorite part is seeing everyone come together and do something they are passionate about. I love dance and being a leader in an organization that allows other people to share in that passion.

SL: Working with my fellow exec board, they are always understanding and a fun group of girls!

LH: My favorite part about being on board is probably the working with the other board members. We all have such a fun time together and they all truly do an amazing job.

SZ: Helping come up the idea for the theme in the very beginning and seeing how the show all comes together as it is approaching!

6. What does your position bring to DE?

CW: As the president of Dance Ensemble I make most of the decisions for the club, and, with the help of my board members, make sure our recital runs smoothly. I am also the person that coordinates with other campus groups to do fundraising or events in addition to our show. My board and I are the faces of DE to the public.

AR: I’m the club secretary, so I am the person in charge of running the DE email account. I am in charge of informing our 90+ members of all our club events and information!

JV: As a co-chair, I am in charge of a lot of the little details throughout each semester. We are trying to increase awareness and participation in our organization so lately my role has been almost a type of community outreach. We were recently involved in UW-Stout’s First Masquerade Ball and next semester we will be involved in Relay For Life.

SL: I am an assistant to the president. Whenever Carly needs help getting a task done she turns to Jeanette and I. 

LH: The treasurer is in charge of all money related tasks. I collect every member’s dues and any money that was used to purchase or sell our fabulous merchandise. I also pay rent for our studio space for practices and organize the banquet at each semester’s end.

SZ: As PR, I am responsible for making sure the word gets out about our shows. I design all the merchandise we wear and sell and also make the posters that promote our recitals. As a group, we are all responsible to do our part to make the show come together. 

7. When and where do you perform?​

CW: Dec. 5 at 7pm and Dec. 7 at 3pm at the Menomonie High School Auditorium.

JV:  Our recital this semester is on Friday December 5th at 7pm and Sunday December 7th at 3pm. Both recitals will be held at the Menomonie High School Auditorium. Tickets can be bought at the door or prior to the event at the Service Center Desk. It only costs $4 for students or $7 for non-students.

SL: Our fall recital is this weekend, December 5th & 7th!! On Friday night our show takes place at 7pm and on Sunday our show takes place at 3pm at Menomonie High School! We really encourage you to come check out all of our hard work from this semester! 

LH: This semester we are performing in Menomonie High School’s Auditorium! There are two showings, one on Friday December 5th at 7pm and one on Sunday December 7th at 3pm.

8. Is there anything else you want Her Campus to know about DE?

CW: Next semester tryouts will be the first week of school! Please join us!

AR: It may seem overwhelming to join our group if you haven’t danced before, but that is the beauty of our club: everyone is welcome! The friends that I’ve made through DE are ones I know I’ll have for a lifetime.

JV: Dance Ensemble is the largest organization on campus, but just because there are so many of us doesn’t mean you’re just a face in the crowd. Our org provides a great opportunity to make friends, have fun, and learn about dance no matter your level. It is a great way to get involved and can help make Stout feel like home! We really hope to see you at our recital this semester.

SL: It’s a great organization that accepts anyone and I think that’s what is so great about it. If you have any interest in dance I highly recommend you coming and checking out our organization! 

LH: We are holding open tryouts again next semester. As of right now the dates are Tuesday January 27th and Wednesday January 28th in the West Gym of Johnson Fieldhouse! Keep an eye out for times! It’s the first week back in classes and we hope to see you there (:

SZ: We are one of the largest clubs on campus, so come and be a part of it next semester!

Molly is a freshman at UW-Stout, majoring in professional communication and emerging media with a concentration in journalism. She is originally from Rosemount, MN. Molly is a pop culture junkie, dancer, singer, actress, and coffee lover. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout