Mastering The Art of Conversation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Imagine this, One day you go to class and instantly as you walk through the door you catch eyes with someone you have been dying to talk to. Any other day you would have looked away and pretended that that amazing moment of sparks flying did not occur. Well, here is your chance to get over your shyness, go up to that person and start having conversations as if you have known each other for years.

Embracing your inner-confidence                           Being able to master talking to someone is easy, but first you just need to embrace your inner-confidence. You have to tell yourself that you are the best and that no matter how this conversation goes you are going to rock it because you have an amazing personality.

Now it’s time for takeoff  

This is the most important part, which is simply walking towards the person you just locked eyes with. At this point, you already know your potential so nothing this individual can say will hurt you; it’s in your hands. All you have to do now is form in your head your cool swagger walk and move towards them like you’ve done it millions of times.

Plan your introduction                                                                  

Now you are walking towards this person with absolutely no fear, perfect! that is exactly how it should be. You should think about what you are going to say, but don’t think too much about it. A simple “Hi” can go a long way. After the “Hi”, what comes next is mostly what you need to be thinking about because most people usually stop at “Hi”. After that, they have nothing else to say because they don’t think of what they want to say before they say it, and some people just say anything.

All you need to remember is that when you are scared to talk to someone, just go for it anyway because most of the time that person is probably in the same position as you. Do not stress too much about how you’ll master the art of conversation. Remember that once you and that person get past the awkward stage of “Hello”, the conversation will just flow naturally. All you need to do to get out of your shell and keep in your mind that no one is better than you, that you are who you are for a reason! Once you master the art of being confident, mastering the art of conversation should be fairly simple. 

Her Campus at UW-Stout