London Inspired Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

During my freshman year I decided I absolutely needed to study abroad at some point in the next four years. Flash forward two and a half years and I am currently studying at the London College of Fashion. I love it here—the people, the rich culture, classes, everything. My tutors here are highly acclaimed celebrity stylists, artists, costume designers, and journalists who do not host classes in your typical classroom or lecture hall. Rather, we are at street markets photographing street style, creating fashion films, exhibitions, and sketching at art and fashion galleries. These classes have forced me to get out into the world and observe what is happening in fashion at various levels. From this, I can sum London fashion up in two words: anything goes.

Back home, you get strange looks for wearing tights in the middle of winter. Here, people dye their hair crazy colors and wear the most outlandish yet chic outfits and no one bats an eye. In the four weeks I have been here I have decided on my hair purple, traded my nude lipstick in for black, and am saving up for a giant blanket scarf. You know what, I do not feel ashamed or judged for these fashion choices. In the U.S., particularly the Midwest, fashion is simple and functional. Those should not be the characteristics on which we base our wardrobes. Regardless of your location in the world you should be able to express your personal style and wear whatever you want.

Over the last few weeks I have been capturing interesting street style. To inspire you to embrace your inner Londoner, here are a couple of my favorite looks.

Photo Cred: Abigail Johnson            

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout