nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

I am the youngest of seven in my large family. Yes, you read that correctly. So if anyone knows what being the youngest is like, it’s me. There is a certain reaction that one gets when they tell people that they are the youngest, and it gets old pretty fast. There also is a lot of crap that the youngest siblings have to go through for simply being the youngest. Here are some reasons why being the youngest is not what it’s all cracked up to be. 

Getting the “Oh you’re the Baaabbyyy of the family!” 

Yes. I am the youngest. It’s not that interesting at all. 

Having your siblings constantly remind you how “spoiled” you are

Although it may feel like we have more privileges than our older siblings, it’s simply not true…most of the time. 

Being the brunt of most family jokes 

It must just be easier to make fun of the youngest because we get the most crap. 

Constantly being compared to the other siblingsIf your older sister got a 4.0 GPA, then you better get a 4.0 GPA. 

You are the last one left at home

When the last sibling goes to college, you get stuck at home with mom and dad, which has its ups and downs, but mostly, it’s just lonely. 

Although there are definitely the downs of being the youngest, overall, it’s kind of is the best. 

Katie is a student at UW-Stout majoring in Professional Communications and Emerging Media. Her hobbies including cuddling with her Golden Retriever, Dante, watching Netflix in her bathrobe, and of course, writing! 
Her Campus at UW-Stout