Land Your Dream Job with These Stout Minors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Adding a minor to your studies will help strengthen your skillset and make you more marketable to future employers. It doesn’t matter if they complement your major or are from a completely different area of study, and Stout offers a wide variety to choose from. Here are five that will benefit everyone!

1. Spanish

Knowing a second language is a skill that will set you apart from other applicants and help you get ahead in any field. Most companies have international connections, and being able to connect with business partners or branches in other countries in their native language is invaluable. Spanish not your thing? You could also pick up the Applied Foreign Languages minor and choose two languages to study, instead.

2. Computer Science

The digital world is taking over, and employers want people who have unique computer skills. Learn about information technology, web design, computer programming, and electronics design with the flexible Computer Science minor. You get to choose the courses that you are most interested in, and no matter what you choose, they will build up your resume tremendously.

3. Business Administration

A Business Administration minor is perfect for those who dream of owning their own business someday, or for those who hope to rise to the top in an already established company. This minor will not only teach you the basics of accounting and managing finances, it also provides you with the management and marketing skills that are crucial to running a successful business.

4. Communication Studies

The key to being a good leader is good communication skills. With a minor in Communication Studies, employers will see that you have a background in things like interpersonal and international communications. This minor will benefit future CEOs, managers, and business owners alike by providing you with the basic skills you need for workplace communication and conducting good interviews.

5. Sustainability

In my opinion, Sustainability is one of the coolest minors that Stout offers. You’ll learn all about what it will take to keep our planet in tip top shape, and this will benefit you more than you think. As our population grows and our natural resources shrink, companies will want to minimize their environmental impact while maximizing profits, and that’s where you come in with your extensive knowledge of renewable energy and reducing a company’s ecological footprint.

Minors can be added or changed at any time on the Stout website, and average 20 credits, so taking on one of these resume-boosting programs is a no-brainer. Trust me, your future self will thank you.

Sarah is a freshman in the Professional Communications program at UW-Stout. She hopes to work as a journalist after graduation. When she's not writing, she can be found reading true crime novels, hiking, or watching HGTV.
Her Campus at UW-Stout