andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Keep Calm and Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Didn’t get a chance to stop by the Study Abroad Fair? No worries, we have a little bit of a recap for those who missed or those who want a little refresher.

Whether you’re totally content in good ‘ole Menomonie or you’re facing an undeniable feeling of wanderlust, checking out what the study abroad programs have to offer is a good idea for anyone. Do not let the misconception that says studying abroad will totally break the bank fool you, because there are plenty of options that offer surprisingly affordable “escape routes.”

There are various ways you can go about choosing where to study abroad and what’s in your best interest. You can take the academic approach, which would consider your major, minor, language requirements/interests, and how studying abroad can fit into your degree obligations. Another approach is to choose based on your geographic interests. This would basically consider the countries, cultures, languages and current world events that draw you towards a specific location. Financial and Personal Issues also weigh into one’s decision making process. Many find the exchange program useful with this approach. This considers how much you’re able to spend on an experience abroad and if you’re eligible for financial help, along with if you have any ties anywhere around the world that may push you in a certain direction. Lastly, the career-driven approach, which focuses on the places that you could find an internship or that would help your resume stand out. For more information on how to choose where to study, click here.

A popular way for students to narrow their wide array of options, is to find a major specific program. The saying “there’s something for everyone,” really applies here. Check out all the major specific programs here – some may surprise you!

Go big or go home, right? So, why not go international? Depending on how long you’re planning to be abroad, your financial status and your basic desires for travel, there are a few different international programs you can choose from. There’s Faculty-Led, Exchange, Direct-Enroll, and Affiliate programs that are worth learning more about, which you can do so by clicking here.

Maybe the right fit for you is right here in the United States, and if that’s the case look into the National Student Exchange (NSE). This is an increasingly popular program that has caught the eyes of many. Learn more about this opportunity here.

If you ask anyone who has studied abroad before, you will rarely (if ever) get a negative response. It’s truly the experience of a lifetime, and what better time to explore the world than while you’re still young and hungry? Check out the Office of International Education website or stop into the study abroad office during walk-in hours for more information.

Jackie is currently a UW-Stout junior pursing a major in Professional Communications and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism, working towards a career in Public Relations. Jackie is the Campus Correspondent, as well as a Feature and Campus Celebrity writer for the UW-Stout chapter. Originally from the east coast, Jackie has lived in the unfavorably cold state of Minnesota for most of her life. She enjoys blogging, music, spending time with her friends and family, cheering on her favorite MA sports teams, comedies, and simply getting up and being active. Jackie has many plans and aspirations, but has just begun her future as a writer.
Her Campus at UW-Stout