Beauty

Ipsy – Your Next Favorite Beauty Purchase

Do you like makeup and skin products? Do you sometimes have a hard time branching out from your favorite products and trying new things? Do you enjoy surprises?  If you said yes to any of these questions, you might want to consider treating yourself to an Ipsy subscription.

If you’re unfamiliar with the name, Ipsy is one of many monthly subscription services for beauty products. Similar companies include Birchbox and Glossybox. I personally chose Ipsy because it’s reasonably priced and has the type and brand of products that I prefer.

When you sign up for Ipsy, you can either select the more popular option and receive an entire year of monthly products for only $110 (shipping included), or you can give it a try without the commitment for $10/month.  This is a great deal, considering that the average value in each bag is around $45 or more.

In your pretty pink package, you’ll receive a small makeup bag and four or five deluxe samples and full-sized products (I’ve always received five). These products are just some of the many you have the possibility of being sent. They are chosen for you specifically based on a quiz that takes into consideration your skin tone and other physical features, along with your personal style, and which product types you’d like to see vs. which ones you’d rather not get. 

Don’t worry – if you dye your hair, start tanning, or just change your mind about anything, you can re-take the quiz! Since I don’t really paint my nails much but love eye products, I receive a lot of eye shadow and mascara instead. If I ever receive anything I don’t really care for, I just give it to a friend who will appreciate it more!  (Hint – this is a great method of asking for favors)

As you receive products each month you can also tailor the subscription to your tastes by reviewing your products.  Ipsy will ask you whether or not you like the brand, shade, formula and other factors to help make their selections even more precise.  You will also receive points for reviewing products, which can be redeemed for full-sized items in their store.  Points can be racked up quickly, especially if you share certain things to Facebook and refer friends.

Ipsy also partners with certain brands that will offer special discounts to their subscribers, making it cheaper to get the brand name products you can’t live without. Additionally, if you enjoy sharing your makeup looks or viewing others, you can do so right on the website with a community that has received similar items. Just tag your look with #ipsy on Instagram to have it appear on their home page!

Overall, Ipsy is a great company that offers a unique experience to their customers. If you’re looking for an affordable and fun way to expand your makeup and skincare collections, Ipsy might be just the thing for you.

I'm a Criminal Justice and Rehabilitation major at the University of Wisconsin - Stout who enjoys dancing, thought-provoking movies, and anything that involves zombies.