Introducing: 2014 SCFR Executive Board

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Board from left to right: Ashley Osteen, Samantha Kelly, Alana Wall, Brooke Fearon, Mackenzie Moessner and Lydia Pfluger

Stout Council Family Relations is an organization on campus for HDFS majors and others who are interested in helping the Menomonie community and more. A new board will be elected 2015 if you are intersted in joining and/or running for an executive position.

President:

Name: Lydia Pfluger

Year: Senior

Years inSCFR: 4th year

Hometown: Grantsburg, WI

Vice President:

Name: Brooke Fearon

Year: Senior

Years in SCFR: 3rd year

Hometown: Milton, WI

Treasurer:

Name: Samantha Kelly

Year: Senior

Years in SCFR: 2nd year

Hometown: Boyceville, WI

Publicist:

Name: Ashley Osteen

Year: Senior

Years in SCFR: 3rd year

Hometown: Elmwood, WI

Historian:

Name: Mackenzie Moessner

Year: Junior

Years in SCFR: 2nd year

Hometown: Brooklyn Park, MN

Secretary:

Name: Alana Wall

Year: Senior

Years in SCFR: 2nd year

Hometown: Lino Lakes, MN

HC: Where do you see your organization growing this year?

Lydia Pfluger: In size! I think students are really interested in getting involved and our membership continues to get larger.

Brooke Fearon: SCFR has already grown a lot this year.  We have gained a number of new members just this semester.  We also planned a number of awesome volunteer experiences and some really great topics for our meetings this semester.

Sam Kelly: I think SCFR will continue to reach out to new students in the HDFS program and possibility start sending more members to professional conferences.  Hopefully SCFR will become more involved with other student organizations on campus and increase its community involvement.

Ashley Osteen: I see our organization becoming more involved in the greater community because we are passionate about getting out there and helping in any way we can. This fall we are having a speaker from boys and girls club and then we will be volunteering at their newest facility in Menomonie! With so many new faces in our club this year, I hope that new passions and interests will also be brought forth and will influence new volunteer and learning experiences that we have as a group.

Mackenzie Moessner: I think it has already grown and become more known by other HDFS students. I have seen a ton of new faces this semester and we have some cool ideas for the rest of the year.

Alana Wall: Becoming more involved in the community and having more members!

HC: How do you like being on the executive board for SCFR?

LP: I have really enjoyed getting to know the students on the board as well as the faculty advisors on a personal level. Being able to work together towards making SCFR a better organization has been fun and a great learning experience!

BF: I love being on the exec board for SCFR! Having an opinion as to what our organization does is really rewarding.  I also really like all of our board members and we are all like a little family, it’s so cute.

SK: I love being on the executive board for SCFR! We have so much fun planning meetings and organizing events for our members. Our current executive board works well together because we have many common interests.

AO: I love being on the executive board for SCFR because it is so much fun! I have always enjoyed being a member of SCFR, but once I decided to run for a board position the experience became so much greater. I really feel like a stakeholder in this organization now because the board members are responsible for so much. It has helped my confidence to be able to stand up in front of the group and talk from a leadership position and it is also so great to have the opportunity to meet all of the wonderful people who come to our meetings.

MM: I love it. I feel like it has given me more leadership skills, and I feel great to be a part of something outside of class that pertains to my major.

AW: I love it! I like working closely with my friends and spending one evening a week together.

HC: Why did you become a member of SCFR?

LP: I initially joined SCFR because I wanted to get more volunteer experience as well as learn about different topics within the HDFS field.

BF: I became a member of SCFR to gain more experience in the Human Development and Family Studies field.  I also joined to have more volunteer experiences in the community and helping those out who are in need.

SK: I became a member of SCFR because I wanted to learn more about the HDFS program. I wanted to meet people in our major. SCFR is a professional organization and I wanted to be able to add that to my resume.

AO: I first heard about SCFR in my HDFS 101 class as a transfer student. It sounded like something that I would be interested in because I love to volunteer and learn about families and human development so I went to a meeting to try it out. After the first time I haven’t missed a single meeting since. I just loved how relaxed the meetings were and how many people with common interests I had the opportunity to interact with. I was afraid that as a transfer student I would have a hard time finding my place in the campus community, but I quickly realized that SCFR was where I wanted to be.

MM: I became a member because I wanted to get more experience and learn about opportunities in my major. I also joined because I wanted more volunteer experience and to make new friends who are in my major.

AW: I became a member because I wanted to become more involved on campus and to add something to my resume along with wanting to meet more people in HDFS.

HC: What’s your favorite part of being a SCFR member?

LP: My favorite part of being an SCFR member is being able to connect with people who have similar interests as me and to get to hang out with them in a more casual setting.

BF: My favorite part of being a SCFR member is seeing all the familiar faces at our meeting!  I love to socialize and talk with members about how their week is going and how classes are and what not.

SK: SCFR offers volunteer experiences and that is my favorite part of being an SCFR member. I love helping people in our community and SCFR provides its members many opportunities to do that.

AO: My favorite part is getting to know all of the people! This organization has helped me meet so many people in the HDFS and related majors and also to network with helping professionals in our community. It is a great way to learn more about our field, but at the same time it is also a fun and relaxed atmosphere that allows us to socialize in ways we might not normally in classes.

MM: My favorite part is meeting new people and gaining different volunteer experiences to put on my resume. There are things I would have never known about in the Menomonie area if I wasn’t involved in SCFR.

AW: Volunteering in the community is my favorite; such as at nursing homes, the Alpha House and the child and family study center.

HC: What do you hope the next executive board will achieve?

LP: I hope that they will get new members interested and more involved in promoting SCFR and its missions.

BF: I just hope that the next executive board has as much fun as we do!  I hope they become good friends like us and really enjoy SCFR!  I hope that they plan fun activities for the members and engage them in our community.

SK: I hope the next SCFR board will continue to provide its members with meaningful volunteer opportunities. I hope the SCFR reaches out to incoming freshman and shares with them all of the opportunities this club provides.

AO: I hope that the next executive board will use their own unique interests and passions to take SCFR down new paths of experiences and volunteer opportunities. The board members of this organization have so much potential to really go any direction they feel is most interesting or beneficial to the group, and I’m excited to see where the new board takes it.

MM: I hope they can continue to make this group grow and find new opportunities/ideas to involve members in our community. It is important to open up/find ideas for people to gain volunteer experience even if it is outside of SCFR. We love to share other experiences if we see them.

AW: I hope they will continue to help the community also to continue to teach other about problems in our world.

HC: What made you run for your position with SCFR?

LP: I wanted to play an active part in the planning and organizing of SCFR and what a better position than president.

BF: I loved being a member of SCFR and wanted to be more active within the organization.

SK: When Dr. Koepke was the SCFR advisor she suggested that I run for the executive board because she thought I could bring so many new ideas to the club. I wanted to be treasurer because I have previous experience working with money and I thought experience would be helpful.

AO: I really liked being in SCFR and there were things that I thought I could bring to the table to benefit the organization. I also really wanted to become more involved and take on a leadership position. I ran for the position of publicist because I had a lot of experience in that area already and I knew that I would enjoy spreading the word about our club.

MM: I knew it would look great on a resume, I wanted to gain leadership skills and I love being involved with the social media aspect of it.

AW: I ran for secretary because I thought it would be a good way to grow in leadership skills also its good experience on how to plan events/meetings.

HC: What does your position bring to SCFR?

LP: I lead and organize SCFR meetings and oversee the planning of our events.

BF: My position as vice president brings lots and lots and lots of e-mail reminders to our members about our meetings and additional volunteer opportunities that are presented.  I also update our OrgSync account and put postings on Campus Life!

SK: Being treasurer, it is my responsibility to manage SCFR funds.  I collect membership dues and deposit them into the SCFR bank account. I keep track of club spending and reimburse purchases made for the club.

AO: My position is basically in charge of spreading the word about SCFR. After our board meetings I make posters about our next group meetings and hang them around campus. I also make fliers and handouts for our members with important dates, reminders, etc. on them, and I am in charge of updating and designing our SCFR bulletin board in Heritage Hall. It is a really fun position to have, and it gives me a chance to combine my passion for family studies with my creative side.

MM: I post on the Facebook and OrgSync pages. I create the events, post pictures and recap what we did that week. I think it helps members and people who are interested to see what our organization is all about. We get to go back and look at all of the fun things we did over the semester.

AW: I am the organizer. I keep notes and attendance while trying to learn everyone’s names!

HC: Is there anything you want Her Campus readers to know that we may not have touched on?

BF: If you would like more volunteer opportunities and to be able to discuss topics that affect families every day, come to one of our meetings and check us out!

SK: SCFR is a great organization and I am so glad that I am able to be a part of it.

AO: Everyone should know that Stout Council on Family Relations is a really great and fun organization to be a part of. I am so proud to be able to call this organization mine, and I love being able to meet so many great people because of it. It is perfect for people like me who have busy schedules because we only meet once a week (or every other week for non-board members) and the relaxed environment that we have is really nice. If you like to volunteer and learn more about helping professions then join SCFR, you won’t regret it!

MM: Even though SCFR places an emphasis on the HDFS (Human Development and Family Studies) major, we are open to having others join our organization as well. We are all about trying to have fun while giving back to our community!

Allison, Currently student at U of Wisconsin-Stout major in Human Development Studies. Hometown Minneapolis MN- it's been a big change from big city MN to small town WI. Huge fan of teacup pigs and anything furry. Always on the move, type of person you can hear before you see.