Inside the Life of a RA: Nathan Gravesen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Name: Nathan Gravesen

Year: Junior

Major: Packaging

Hometown: St. Croix Falls,WI

How long have you been an RA?

This is my second year!

What led you to be an RA.

My freshman year, I had an awesome RA, Derek Rubenzer. He helped make my first year at college an absolute blast, and I wanted to be that guy for other students.

What kind of training did you have to complete, if any?

All RAs have to go through training for about a week before the school year starts. We learn all sorts of things there! We learn how to handle certain situations, learn how to work with staff, learn about the different policies and learn how to lead your residents. Also, there is a day where all of the RAs go out and serve the community, which was an absolute blast!

Did you get to choose Fleming 3rd Floor or was that randomly assigned?

Randomly by my boss! Last year, out of all of the residence buildings and floors at UW-Stout, I randomly was assigned to same building and the same floor where all of my friends were … how weird is that?

Does it feel like a job or does it feel like a normal day?

It depends on the day. A lot of being an RA is socializing and making sure residents are doing well socially and academically at Stout, which most of the time means hanging out and chillin with them. Other days, there are more things to do, such as rounds, bulletin boards and desk work. Those days it feels more like a job. 

What is stressful about your job?

The most stressful part, hands down, is balancing time. Between school, studying, clubs, exercising, working the desk, hanging out on the floor, going to meetings, having a girlfriend and maintaining a social life, sometimes things can get hectic. And by sometimes, I mean every day.

What do you love about your job?

The social aspect, for sure. I had 48 people I didn’t know move onto 3rd Fleming on move-in day, and getting to know each and every one of them has been so much fun and rewarding!

Does it get annoying that everyone runs to you with his or her roommate/living problems?

Nope! I’m glad to help people. And plus, 3rd Fleming has been awesome this year and learning to respect one another.

How do you draw the line on being a friend or an RA, especially with your roommate?

The easiest way is to set those parameters at the beginning of the year. I’m always going to be someone’s friend, but I also have to do my job if they choose to do something dumb.

What are some things you have to sacrifice?

Sometimes, when your friends have fun shenanigans planned, you have to stay in the dorms and do rounds.

What are some perks?

Basically, getting paid to be a friend/role model/motherly figure. Also, working with other RAs is a blast, and it looks great on a resume!

What is it like being an RA on North Campus in an upperclassmen building? Does it take some of the fun away?

I like it a lot! Most kids have a year under their belts, and many have found their niche at Stout. The cool thing about an upperclassmen dorm is seeing friend groups grow and expand to other kids on the floor, and seeing those friendships grow. Also, while I still suspect upperclassmen partake in tomfoolery, they generally are smart enough to take it out of the dorms. This makes life easier! And plus, with having such awesome residents this year, it’s impossible to not have fun!

What’s the craziest thing that’s happened to you as an RA so far?

I’m not going to go into details, but it involved underage drinking, a shattered mirror, calling 911, two people going to jail, cleaning up blood and writing a report until 3:30 a.m.

Do you have another job outside of being an RA?

Not during the school year. One job at a time is good enough for me!

What do you do with your free time? Any extra curriculars or sports?

When I find some free time, I love playing guitar. I help out with the high school youth at Menomonie Alliance Church,and lead a worship band. I am very active in my faith, and I enjoy attending CRU weekly as well. As for sports, I hung up the cleats after high school. I do enjoy some pick-up volleyball, basketball and lifting weights, though!

Laura (Lo), originally from Milwaukee, WI, is an alumni of Her Campus and the University of Wisconsin - Stout. She majored in Professional Communication & Emerging Media and Strategic Communication. Lo was involved with Her Campus as a High School Journalism & Publicity Ambassador, Chapter Advisor and Campus Correspondent for HC UW-Stout. Laura is currently a Social Media Specialist for Fence Talk Digital and does freelance writing occasionally. Feel free to follow her on Twitter or add her on LinkedIn.