Important Lessons I Learned During My First Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

During my first year of college, I changed as a person. I had to face problems that I have never had to before in my life, until now. I met people I normally would never talk to in my comfortable life back home. College makes you a different person because now, your parents aren’t there to coddle you and the friends you have had since second grade have gone their separate ways. You are totally alone, but it’s ok because you have the opportunity to learn so much about yourself. Here are the life lessons I learned after one year in college. 

Sometimes you have to confront people

I have never been one to confront people. My method was to pretend like nothing is wrong and go on, but that is not the best method and I met a lot of people this year that taught me how to go about arguments. 

Not everyone has to be your friend

It might be hard to push certain people away that you don’t enjoy being with and you might feel pressure to have as many friends as you can in college, but fear not. College is a place to discover yourself and the kind of people you want to keep close. Don’t feel like you have to like everyone. 

Sometimes you have to be assertive

Sometimes you will be in your room and you will need to tell your friends to leave or maybe you will just need some alone time. It took me a little while before I built up the courage to tell people straight up what I need because you should always be your first priority. 

Take time for yourself

It’s ok to be by yourself sometimes! In fact, it’s good for you to have some me time. Don’t feel bad about eating alone every once in a while or maybe even taking a walk by yourself. 

Be open to new experiences

Don’t be that person that never wants to try anything new. Go to that party, hang out with that new group of friends, do something you have never done before. This your chance to try new things and grow. 

Katie is a student at UW-Stout majoring in Professional Communications and Emerging Media. Her hobbies including cuddling with her Golden Retriever, Dante, watching Netflix in her bathrobe, and of course, writing! 
Her Campus at UW-Stout