This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Our bodies are made up of 2/3 water, so it is important to keep hydrated throughout the day. We use the water in our bodies for simple functions like  walking. Water is essential for body functions on a day-to-day basis.

Digestion

Water is very important in the process of digestion. It helps with the absorption of food and the removal of toxins in the body. The water helps break down foods, especially solid foods. It also helps with regulating body temperature and blood circulation. Finally, it helps carry nutrients and oxygen to cells in the body.

Weight Loss

If you are looking to lose weight, consuming enough water is important. When drinking water, it will boost the metabolism to burn the body’s stored fats along with maintain muscle tone.

Skin

When you are hydrated, your skin improves as well. You need moisture not only on top of your skin but also under. When you drink plenty of water throughout the day, your skin will become healthier as well. The skin becomes more hydrated, providing a natural glow.

Hydration

It is very important to make sure the body does not become dehydrated. Dehydration can have dramatic consequences on the body. Your body needs to work twice as hard to ration the water it has stored. Many side effects include: joint pain, stomach pain, back pain, dizziness, disorientation, and confusion. In order to prevent dehyrdation, women should drink at least 9 glasses of water a day or 2.2 liters. The popular rule is 8 glasses a day but according to experts you should drink at least 9 glasses. However, when you work out you need to drink even more water than that by at least about 2-3 glasses.

Tips for Staying Hydrated

Especially as a college student with our busy lives, it can be difficult to remember to get enough water throughout the day. One easy way is to keep a water bottle with you. If it is readily available, you are more likely to drink it before you become thirsty. Around Stout, there are many water fountains with a easy system to fill a water bottle. Another tip is to substitute your soda with lunch for a glass of water. At least you are getting water with your meals. If you are not into water, eat more fruits and vegetables since they also contain water. Another option is low calorie or no calorie water enhancers. An example of enhanced water is spa water. In order to make this you fill your bottle with cucumbers, lemons, mint, and/or berries and then fill it up with water. Let it sit for 2 hours or overnight. Continue to fill it up once you drink the whole thing until the fruits and veggies loose their flavor.

Remember to always keep your self hydrated, and you will live a healthier lifestyle.

I am a freshman attending the University of Wisconsin Stout. My major is Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism. I am from a small town in Southeast Wisconsin. I love everything and anything Disney. Recently, I have gotten into RunDisney. It brings my love of Disney together with living a healthier lifestyle. After college, I hope to obtain a job with Disney, preferably in the RunDisney division.
Her Campus at UW-Stout