This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Eight years ago I read my first issue of Vogue. It was glorious. Every item of clothing in the magazine was worth thousands of dollars, expertly designed, and worn by famous models. I desperately wanted to be a part of that world with all its luxury and glamour. Shortly thereafter I decided to pursue a career in the fashion industry. I had it all figured out; I would go to a fabulous school in New York City or Los Angeles and then work at Vogue after graduation. Back then, I was sure that my passions would never change—I would work in the fashion industry for the rest of my life.

It wasn’t until I studied abroad that I realized fashion was not for me. I took classes with people who were so driven and stopped at nothing to succeed in the industry. Unlike so many of them, fashion was not my life.

I don’t care about fashion. I don’t care what is the “it” bag for the season, what colors are “in”, or which trends are making a comeback. I especially don’t care to spend money just to stay up-to-date with the current trends. And you know what? That is totally alright.

It’s ok to know what is happening or trending in the industry but we don’t have to let it change our lives. You have a unique style that should not be altered because of what designers, trend forecasters, or fashion magazines say. So dress how you want and live your life accordingly!

Sure, I am majoring in the retail program with a concentration in fashion marketing and will probably end up working in something fashion-related after graduation. And yes, I have my moments of doubt where I want to change majors or career paths, but, ultimately, always decide against doing so. The fashion industry needs a greater focus on style and I want to be a part of that change. It’s time for society to stop obsessing over fashion trends and establish their own style in the world. 

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout