How To Survive Your First Hot Yoga Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Hot yoga is a hot trend these days.  There are countless benefits of doing yoga (hello hot body, better sleep, glowing skin…). You’ve probably already bought the cute yogi outfit and mat, and you have a board dedicated to yoga on your Pinterest page.  Now, it’s time to actually go to a hot yoga class.  Here is what you can expect and some tips on how to survive your first hot yoga class. 

General etiquette

• Refrain from wearing heavily scented lotions or perfumes
  • Be quiet once you enter the studio
  • Don’t come late to class or leave class early

What to wear and bring

• Light, breathable, moisture-wicking clothing are the best.   I prefer loose clothing to tight clothing because it is less sticky and suffocating during class.  Ultimately, just wear something comfortable that won’t distract you during class.
  • Bring a towel.  Trust me on this – it will be your best friend.
  • Bring a water bottle and a replenishing drink like Gatorade or coconut water (my personal fave!).

Before class

• Get to class early.  Allow yourself at least 30 minutes prior to class to get familiar with the studio, claim your spot in the room and allow your body to adjust to the temperature. 
  • Hydrate!  Hydration is the most important thing when you are doing hot yoga.  I wouldn’t advise in eating a heavy meal before class — you will be doing lots of twisting and we all know that yoga is great for digestion! 
  • Introduce yourself to the instructor.  Let them know it is your first time and they will probably offer tips and suggestions.  They may even guide you to a “cool spot” in the room where it doesn’t get as warm

During class

• It’s going to be hot.  I mean really, really, hot — about 110 degrees to be exact.  Know your limits, listen to your body and don’t push yourself.  If you need to take a break allow yourself to. 
  • The instructor may offer hands-on adjustments.  If you are uncomfortable with this, let them know, and if you have questions about a posture, feel free to ask.
  • Don’t compare yourself to others.  No one downward-facing dog will look the same as another.  We all have different body structures, and everyone will look different.  It’s okay to feel goofy or self-conscious about a posture – just try your best. 

After class

• Change out of your clothes as soon as possibly because you aren’t going to want to wear them for much longer.  Many studios have showers too; just limit your shower to 5-10 minutes. 
  • Stay hydrated for the rest of the day.  It isn’t uncommon to lose 5-7 pounds of water weight in a hot yoga class.  Drink at least 60 ounces of water after class and refuel with a healthy snack. 
  • Keep that yogi attitude going for the rest of the day and come back tomorrow! 

Good luck and Namaste!   

My name is Rachel Kolias and I am from St. Paul, Minnesota. I am a junior at UW- Stout studying Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism. I am a dedicated tea drinker, yogi, Lindy Hopper, musician, blogger and dog lover.