How to Save Money for Traveling in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

College years are the perfect time to travel. You aren’t tied down to a big-girl job, it is a great time to experience things on your own, and you have technology on your side. Sometimes, it can be hard to take the first steps that go into planning a trip. One common obstacle for college students is finding the money to fund a trip. It is pretty obvious that college budgets can be tight but with these helpful hints you can be on your way to paradise before you know it!  

Print off a savings plan like this one.

Once you figure out your budget and stick to it, you will be able to hold yourself accountable to what you are spending every week. I have one of these and it is so helpful! (Tip: Instead of starting at $1, start at a higher number and work your way down. it can be easier to stay motivated to save when you see your money accumulating faster and you know can save less every week). Put it in a place that you will see every day so you don’t forget about it!

Hopper

This is a great app to use if you plan on flying to your vacation destination. You simply plug in your departure and arrival airports and the dates you will be gone and the app will let you know when it will be the cheapest time to purchase your tickets! This is also helpful because it lets you know a ballpark range of what you could end up paying. 

Groupon

This app/website has great deals for vacation packages, hotels, and dining and is definitely worth checking out! There is something for everyone here. 

Airbnb

This is a service that allows you to book housing from local hosts from anywhere in the world to stay for a significantly lower price than what it would cost to stay in a hotel. I have heard a lot of good things about this service and if you are willing to give up the “luxury” of a hotel in exchange for a more authentic experience, it is definitely worth a try. 

Let us know in the comments if you or anyone you know has used these resources to save money on traveling! 

Vanessa studies Early Childhood Education at the University of Wisconsin- Stout. She hails from southeastern Minnesota and currently lives with her fiance in Wisconsin. She is the proud dog mom of 2 fur babies, Marley and Daisy.
Her Campus at UW-Stout