How to Prepare for Your Sophomore Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Finals are less than a week away, and with the closing of classes, we are officially done with our freshman year of college.  Some of us may be preparing to embrace a new major, and some of us may be looking forward to taking more classes about our passions.  But either way, with August comes sophomore status.  Though this may not seem to be a big deal in the grand scheme of things, for us it means gaining the respect of our professors and upperclassmen, as well as settling into our roots here at Stout.  And while it may seem like a divine given right for us to accept this newfound status, there are definitely things we can do over the summer to ensure we are prepared to accept it.  So without further adieu, the three ‘R’s of preparing for sophomore year!

1. Revamp your resume.

As you’re coming into your sophomore year of college, it’s important to start your search for internships and co-op opportunities.  And whether it’s for an on campus position or a professional company, your resume is going to be your best friend throughout these years.  Make sure that you are consistently updating your skills and work history, so that when the time comes to apply, it doesn’t take you the whole night to perfect it.  Many of our professors as well as the Career Services office are willing to help you learn how to sell yourself to future employers.

2. Reflect on this past semester.

What did you learn about yourself?  Maybe you learned that you pack too much into your tiny room.  Maybe you learned that you study best when you write your notes by hand.  Perhaps you learned that you’d be better backing up all of your notes on your computer.  Whatever it is that you learned, be sure to keep it in mind throughout the summer, and especially when you pack to move in again.  If you prefer to keep everything on your laptop, maybe you’re better off investing in flashdrives instead of chunky notebooks and binders.  If you pack too much, perhaps you need to do some condensing. College teaches you many life skills that you’d be foolish to ignore.

3. Reach out to your future roommies.

Now that we’ve acquired a taste for the luxuries of dorm life, we’ve probably learned a few life lessons about how we interact with people when sharing a room.  It’s possible that you’ve observed that you’re a tad disorganized in relation to your roommate.  Consider how well you and your roommate got along.  These are all conversations that are important to have with next years cohabitants, not only for their own good but for yours as well.

Kate is a junior at University of Wisconsin Stout.  She is a Professional Communication and Emerging Media major, with a concentration in Applied Journalism and a minor in Speech Communication.   Very soon she will also be dual majoring in Digital Marketing Technology. Her interests include blogging, writing, swing dancing, watching movies and (yes) training llamas back home.  Check out her blog at http://collegiettebyday.com
Her Campus at UW-Stout