This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Life is hard, and it doesn’t make it easier when we have to cover up our complexion with concealer every day because of dark spots, acne, or dry skin. It’s important to find a routine that works for you and to stick to it. Here is how you can start making that change for yourself.

Wash your face twice a day

Seriously. Do it and make it a habit. Washing your face in the morning gets rid of all those oils that your face produced during the night, and as a bonus, it will make you look more awake. Washing your face at night cleans off all the dirt and grime that accumulated during the day and gives your face a chance to rejuvenate while you sleep. Bonus tip: Use cold water; it will reduce redness and inflammation. 

Invest in spot treatments

For those days when you wake up with a big angry zit, zap it with something that contains either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. Use it sparingly because it can easily dry out the rest of your face. 

Go easy on the makeup

I know it may be tempting to cover up all your facial imperfections with some concealer, but you aren’t doing yourself any favors in the long run. Use only if you are having a major breakout or if it’s a special occasion. If you want, you can even buy a concealer that contains acne medication. 

Stop touching your face

Yes, I know it’s relaxing and our heads can get so heavy, especially on Mondays, but think of all the oil and bacteria you are putting on your poor face! 

Find a moisturizer that works for your skin type

Whether you have dry/flaky skin or oily/acne-prone skin, moisturizer is important. Stay away from perfumed lotions that aren’t meant for your face. 

Katie is a student at UW-Stout majoring in Professional Communications and Emerging Media. Her hobbies including cuddling with her Golden Retriever, Dante, watching Netflix in her bathrobe, and of course, writing! 
Her Campus at UW-Stout