This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Just as quick as the fishtail hairstyle came into fashion, the new, French fishtail has got everyone oohing and ahhing! This elegant hairstyle looks difficult to do but it’s actually very simple! If you already know how to French braid like a pro, then this hairstyle will be a breeze! If you don’t know how to, or know how to very well, you can still become a master at the French fishtail!

What you’ll need:

• Ponytail or an elastic
  • A Brush
  • Hairspray (Optional)

Step 1: Brush/Curl the hair

Before you do anything, grab your brush and remove all those tangles! At this point, I suggest adding in any products such as oil, mousse, or dry shampoo. You can also curl the hair if you’d like. 

Step 2: Decide How Many ‘Tails’

Now it’s time to decide if you want one big French fishtail or a few smaller ones. Whatever your preference, plan it out and separate the hair accordingly into two sections.

Step 3: Begin the fishtail

After separating the hair into two equal sections, grab a small section from one side and bring it over to the opposite side and incorporate it into that section. Next, repeat with the opposite side you started with, and grab a small section of hair and bring it to the opposite (or first) side. Easy-peasy right?

Step 4: French that fishtail!

This step seems the most confusing, but it’s actually super easy. As you continue taking small sections from one of the sides and adding it to the opposite side, all you’re going to do now is add a section of hair apart from the hair already in your sections and add it to the small sections you’re adding to the opposite side like I said before. Fishtail all the way down until you’re out of hair!

Think of the steps like this if you start on the right side:

1. Split the hair into 2 equal sections.
  2. Grab a small chunk of the hair on the right next to your original 2 sections that are not already in the right side section.
  3. Incorporate the small outside section and cross it over to the opposite side (the left).
  4. Add that section into the original section on the left side.
  5. Repeat with the left, crossing an outside piece to the right (beginning side).

Step 5: Practice

It’s kind of a broken record but practice really does make perfect! It can be extremely difficult at first with trying to understand what pieces to pick up and where to put them. Basically, it’s just moving small sections from left to the right and vice versa. Practice how you hold the hair to make it easier to do it on yourself. I recommend practicing on a friend to see exactly what you’re doing. Just remember, don’t get frustrated. You can do this. Believe in yourself!

Once you have the process down, you won’t want to do any other hairstyle other than the French fishtail! This hairstyle is so easy, yet so adorable. Your friends will be begging you to teach them how to do it! Now go show off your fabulous hairdo!

Hello! My name is Elizabeth Jacobson, but most people call me Liz for short. I am a sophomore this year at UW-Stout to get my Bachelors degree in Business Administration. I plan to have an emphasis in entrepreneurship so that after college I can pursue my dreams of owning my own store. I have a passion for writing. I love new ideas, meeting new people, and exploring different things in life. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout