This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

After a long semester of projects, meetings, 8 a.m. classes, unpredictable weather, and finals there is nothing more relieving than going home for winter break. You get to spend time with family, celebrate two of the most famous holidays, get together with old high school friends, and basically do nothing but relax for a whole month. With all the upcoming holidays it can be difficult to figure out what to wear. Whether you are celebrating with family, friends, or by yourself ala Bridget Jones, you can still look amazing. To help you figure out what to wear here are my top five pieces to creating the perfect outfit:

1. Glitzy Dress: This may seem like your cliché New Year’s Eve dress but this look works for any holiday celebration. In terms of modesty, stay away from the tight, body con dresses when seeing family. Also, throw a pair of tights on underneath. After all, it is winter.

2. Faux Fur Coat: Since people tend to dress up during the holidays it only makes sense that you have a coat to match that level of glamour.

3. Statement Pants: Maybe wearing tights and a dress just isn’t your thing. In that case, opt for cigarette pants in rich, bold colors such as these merlot colored ones. Pair these with a cozy sweater to really make a statement.

4. Leather Boots: Make sure to keep your clunky winter boots at home for the night. Stick to simple, neutral boots—preferably shorter, ankle length ones.

5. Cocktail Jewelry: Nothing is too outlandish for holiday fashion. Feel free to add all the bracelets, rings, and sparkly necklaces you want.

If dressing up isn’t your style then don’t feel obligated to go all out and buy a brand new wardrobe. Wear whatever you feel most comfortable in, and enjoy relaxing with your friends and family.

Abigail is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. She is majoring in Retail Merchandising and Management with a concentration in Fashion Marketing and has a double minor in Business Administration and Spanish. Aside from being a Style Writer for Her Campus, she is involved with Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) and Street Level Ministries. In her spare time she enjoys collecting art, watching Hallmark movies with family and friends, and going on adventures. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout