How to Deal With Family During Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Ah, Thanksgiving. The time for too much food and too much family. Every year it happens and every year we plot our revenge. Families are hard to deal with sometimes. They know exactly what buttons to push to make you crazy and the worst part? They relish it. I have concocted a few simple strategies you can use to manage your button-pushers this Thanksgiving. 

Don’t bring up anything controversial

You are a smart, sensible individual. So please, don’t indulge in your favorite sport of talking about women’s rights to your conservative jerk of an uncle. It will only end in disaster and you know it. Take time to acknowledge that, at some time, someone is going to say something that will rub you the wrong way. Keep your cool and carry on. You are here to enjoy time with family and to be grateful, not to stir the pot. Plus, you can always vent to your BFF about all the annoying things they said later. 

Dress your best and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise

Your mother and sister might try to tell you that your outfit doesn’t match or something. Remember: stick to what makes you feel good and don’t let them make you second guess your decision. I cannot even count how many times my sister has made me feel bad about an outfit that I have been excited to wear. I then spent the day feeling self-conscious about my clothes. Everyone is different and we all have our own sense of style. I have since then come to a realization that my style is very different than my sister’s and, if she doesn’t like it, that’s her problem.  

Try to enjoy the moment

Remember that you don’t get together with these people very often. And, despite your difference in views, you are still family and that matters more than whatever might be making you upset. Be grateful because there are people who wish they had a family to spend Thanksgiving with. Because beneath it all, you all love each other. 

Katie is a student at UW-Stout majoring in Professional Communications and Emerging Media. Her hobbies including cuddling with her Golden Retriever, Dante, watching Netflix in her bathrobe, and of course, writing! 
Her Campus at UW-Stout