How Being In A Sorority Helps You Achieve In The Work Place

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

While going through Sorority Recruitment three years ago, I kept hearing that being in a sorority was a resume booster. Being a freshman at the time, I didn’t know how important that would be for me. When I joined a sorority, I had no idea that I would learn valuable professional advice not only from my sister’s experiences but also from my personal experiences with adapting to sorority life and chair positions. Being in a sorority, which runs like a small business corporation, teaches you to be a professional. These lessons can be integrated into the work place and your own success as an employee or leader.

Having been on my sorority’s sisterhood chair for two semesters, I’ve learned my fair share of organization skills, further developed my ability to be prepared, and become more adaptable to constantly changing plans. I had to make reservations (and figure out how to find an alternative when no rooms in the MSC were available), I had to plan events my sister’s wouldn’t get bored with, and I had to take my own extra time to make sure everything would be in place and ready. Holding and being a part of a chair position in my sorority has made me a more prepared employee. I try to make it early to my shifts, when things aren’t going right I’m quick to think of alternative solutions to problems, and I’m a pro at being so organized that sometimes I’m too prepared.

“Being in a sorority helped me get my dream internship. During interviews I’ve told companies I’m in a sorority and one of their first questions is about positions I’ve held. Companies know the strengths that Greek life can give someone and they are impressed. Leadership skills especially have come from joining my sorority and I couldn’t be happier!” Alpha Phi.

Sororities run like corporations, where the members become a team to work toward a unified goal. Sororities usually are created because of philanthropic reasons. This means that many sororities have multiple volunteer options for their members to participate in. Not many college students get the opportunity to volunteer but, being in a sorority, local organizations will contact Greek organizations looking for students to donate their time in helping charities and local business events. Volunteering shows that you don’t mind using your extra free time to give back and work hard.

“You learn soft skills that employers are looking for, through recruitment and community events! Skills like; communication, teamwork, networking, problem solving/critical thinking, and professionalism. We communicate with each other in chair positions as well as with Potential New Members (PNMs) when we tell them about our sorority. Our chapter itself is a team and we work together to make sure it runs how it should. We come up with ideas or solutions to problems the chapter may be having (again, yay, teamwork!) and we have to think critically, making sure our decisions are in the best interest for our chapter. We do all this while remaining professional, especially in meetings waiting for our turn to speak and being considerate of our peers.” Sigma Sigma Sigma.

Women tend to build off of one another, which can create a positive change in yourself when you are around successful, hardworking, and dedicated individuals. You think to yourself, I want to be like that, I want to get good grades like her, I want to be respected like her, and I want people to hear my voice. Being in a sorority, I have learned to voice my opinion but also to learn to listen to what others have to say around me. I looked up to the girls that had joined before me, I strived to be successful like them, I watched them graduate and go on to getting jobs that they love. Now I am one of the “older members” and I have new ladies of our sorority looking to me.

“I learned how to put myself out there. Before I joined Sigma I felt as if I was very shy at times when it came to meeting new people. Now I can feel as if I can start a conversation with just about anyone which is beneficial later on in life with job interviews, etc. You acquire the ability to voice your opinion more often than keeping your thoughts to yourself about things that matter to you, and are important.” Sigma Sigma Sigma.

Out of the 50 largest corporations in North America, 47 are led by men and women who were Greek and all 11 Apollo astronauts were Greek as well. Leaders come from everywhere but being in a sorority can help collegiettes redefine their professional careers. 

Her Campus at UW-Stout