How To Be More Friendly to our Planet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Earth Day is a huge celebration during spring. Every year this day rolls around on April 22, the environment and caring for the Earth takes center stage. Here are some ways to really help save our planet:

1. Use Less Water

Take shorter showers and turn off the tap when brushing your teeth. Taking a shower over a bath also saves more water if you keep it less than ten minutes Drinking tap water over bottled water reduces waste created by packaging.

2. Walk or Bike Anywhere You Can

Walking or biking will reduce greenhouse gas emissions and it also improves your health! Taking the bus or carpooling to work or school decreases cars on the road, therefore, less greenhouse gas emissions.

3. Recycle

Recycling is very important so bottles, cans, and paper don’t get into places that they shouldn’t be such as nature and oceans, especially landfills. Not only is it hurting our planet, but also our animals.

4. Compost

Composting kitchen scraps reduces the amount of waste in a landfill. Compost can make a natural fertilizer for your garden. 

5. Energy Efficient Home

Simple changes to your home such as replacing light bulbs with Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs can save energy and greenhouse gas emissions. Unplug things you are not using such as kitchen appliances, lights, and electronics. Small things like opening your blinds instead of using a lamp is also a better option.

It only takes a second to be more environmentally friendly, so consider your choices to help save our planet. Small things make a big difference and if everyone makes smarter environmentally friendly choices, our planet will be more safe.

Erika is a Professional Communications and Emerging Media student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout.  She hopes to find a career in journalism after graduation to continue her love for writing. She loves fashion, dancing, and sleeping.
Her Campus at UW-Stout