Guide to Studying Abroad at University of Wisconsin-Stout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

We have heard about the benefits of studying abroad countless times before and have been urged by our professors and advisors to take advantage of our study abroad options while in college.  Even employers are telling Stout the benefits of studying abroad! 3M Packing Engineer, Sarah Sperling, told us, “I think it broadens your perspective on the world, because a lot of people, especially at Stout, are from Minnesota or Wisconsin and haven’t gotten to experience a lot of cultures and experience other areas so I think it really helps in your career.”

The University of Wisconsin-Stout’s Office of International Education offers an array of study abroad programs both nationally and internationally.  Students can study on exchange, through faculty-led programs, or with direct-enroll and affiliate programs.  Want to study abroad for a couple weeks, a semester, or a year?  No problem!  Eligibility to study abroad varies program to program, and students are encouraged to do so sophomore or junior year. The Office of International Education strives to help UW-Stout students learn through traveling, and they are here to assist in the planning for this exciting experience.  Check out some of the options available:

Faculty-Led: Study abroad with a Stout professor for a short period of time.  National and international options available.

·      WinTerm and Summer

·      WinTerm Application Deadline: October 15

·      Summer Application Deadline: March 1

National Student Exchange: Study in the US, Canada, Guam, US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico and pay Stout tuition.

·      Semester and Academic Year

·      Application Deadline for following year: February 1

Exchange: Study at a foreign university and pay Stout tuition.

·      Summer, Semester and Academic Year (some WinTerm options)

·      WinTerm and Spring Application Deadline: October 15

·      Summer, Fall and Academic Year: March 1

Direct Enroll: Directly enroll in a foreign university and pay their tuition and fees.

·      Summer, Fall and Academic Year Application Deadline: March 1

Affiliated Programs: Don’t like Stout’s options?  Stout partners with three other companies that offer some great study abroad options.  Take a look!

·      ISEP

·      CEA

·      API

The Study Abroad Office will guide you through your application process. Details on the application process here

UW-Stout offers many options for financial aid, grants and scholarships.  More details on financial aid here

Every UW-Stout major is complemented by many incredible study abroad options.  Check out the major specific programs list here

Want to get involved with study abroad upon returning?  Check out the Alumni opportunities here

Interested in studying abroad? Stop by the Study Abroad Office during walk-in hours or make an appointment.

Walk-in hours:

M/W: 2:00-4:00 pm

T/Th: 8:30-10:30 am

*Or by appointment

Study Abroad Office 200 Main Street E, Menomonie

“Like” UW Stout Study Abroad Facebook Page for updates, pictures, contests and more!

“Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” 

My name is Rachel Kolias and I am from St. Paul, Minnesota. I am a junior at UW- Stout studying Professional Communication and Emerging Media with a concentration in Applied Journalism. I am a dedicated tea drinker, yogi, Lindy Hopper, musician, blogger and dog lover.
Her Campus at UW-Stout