alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Good Camping Spots in Northwest Wisconsin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

I love making plans for the summer this time of year. Summer is close enough that you can imagine it, and planning fun things to do gives you something to be excited about even if it is snowing in the end of April. I wanted to find some camping options not too far from Menomonie to consider for the camping trip my roommates and I are taking. Here are my favorites to consider for your own camping pleasure.

Amnicon Falls State Park

Of what I looked at, this was my top choice. It’s about two hours from Menomonie, which is a good distance for a weekend trip. Waterfalls are one of my favorite things in nature and if there’s a waterfall, I’m there. The area is pretty heavily forested as well, so the campsites have plenty of shade. There’s plenty of swimming spots too. It’s definitely a great spot to visit.

Pattison State Park

Pattison State Park comes close to the top of the list because it has the state’s highest waterfalls. It is a little over 2.5 hours from Menomonie, which is a bit of a drawback. This park is not as forested, but in addition to the state’s highest waterfalls, there is also a nice swimming beach.

Chequamegon National Forest

The Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest is actually two separate locations. The Chequamegon Forest is around Park Falls. In the northeast of the state by Rhinelander, is Nicolet Forest. Strangely enough, both are about a 2.5 hour drive from Menomonie. Trees of varying kinds populate the dense forests of the park, filled with beautiful hiking trails. During winter meltoff there are some waterfalls; as spring nears summer, most of these waterfalls become trickles. No matter what the season, this is a park well-worth a visit.

Perrot State Park

Perrot State Park is right against the Mississippi River with bluffs overlooking the river. The area is not truly a forest, though trees spot the hillsides. The main drawback for this park is that it’s an hour and a half from Menomonie. There are many popular hiking trails up and down the bluffs, and a few swimming spots. Still quite worth a weekend get-away.

Her Campus at UW-Stout