Five Wedding Planning Tips for Recently Engaged Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Recently engaged? Congratulations! You probably already know that you have a lot of work ahead of you, so here are some tips from someone who works in the industry to keep your wedding planning and budgeting as stress-free as possible!

Start looking at dresses right away.

Even if your wedding is a year or more away, you’re going to want to start looking for your gown and the bridesmaid dresses as soon as you can.  For the most variety of choices, plan on having something ordered for yourself at least nine months ahead. Bridal gowns can sometimes take up to seven months to be made (typically overseas) and shipped to the store. Although that’s not necessarily the standard timeframe, factors such as customization and holidays (especially the Chinese New Year) can have a huge impact on how long it takes for your dress to be made. Bridesmaid dresses are best ordered about seven months ahead of time. Don’t forget that you also need time for alterations!

Short on time? There are still options.

If you’ve missed the suggested dates for ordering dresses, you still have a few directions to take. If you’ve found your perfect gown and don’t want to look any further, there’s normally a “rush” option, but it will tack on an extra charge. If you’d rather avoid spending more money, ask your bridal consultant if they carry certain designers that are notorious for having faster turnaround times. Some companies have even built themselves around the need for faster turnaround and can cut delivery time in half or even better. Keep in mind that in order to do this, they may have less of a selection when it comes to styles, colors, sizes, and length or other customizations. Chain bridal shops often have their dresses pre-made, but again this will take away variety of choices.

If you’re extremely short on time, you can purchase your bridal gown off the rack (usually with a decent discount!) and have your bridesmaids purchase their dresses off the rack too. This can be tricky, since most bridal shops don’t carry more than one of each sample dress and color shades can differ quite a bit between different designers and even between different color batches when the fabric is made. Going with solid black or an ombré theme for the color and having different styles but the same length and fabric type will make this easier.

Don’t forget the smaller expenses.  They add up!

When budgeting, make sure to ask other couples that have recently married about the unexpected expenses they had so that you can plan for them ahead of time. People often forget to budget for postage, tips, and the marriage license, among other things.

The bride will typically have quite a few of these forgotten expenses, including the veil, jewelry, shoes, beauty appointments, and alterations. Alterations are rarely included in the price of the dress and can become very expensive if a lot of adjustments need to be made. Make sure to ask your bridal consultant what to anticipate for alterations before placing the order for your gown. Keep in mind that having to move around lace and beading and other time-consuming changes will cost a pretty penny.

Go to bridal fairs!

One of the best ways to discover vendors in your area is by going to a local bridal fair. This is a super-efficient way to collect information and compare your options. And since the vendors are competing against others who offer similar products/services, they will often hand out coupons and free stuff! Also, bridal fairs often feature entertaining events such as fashion shows, which make the entire experience even more fun.  You can also socialize with other brides and grooms and possibly receive vital advice.

Remember – it’s your day!

All too often, I see brides and grooms who allow themselves to get overwhelmed with the opinions of others. Although you should be a little bit flexible (especially if you’re not the one paying) you simply cannot please everyone. Remember that this is first and foremost a celebration of the union between you and your significant other, and the wedding should be a reflection of that. Don’t let anyone else have a bigger voice than you and your fiancé!

I'm a Criminal Justice and Rehabilitation major at the University of Wisconsin - Stout who enjoys dancing, thought-provoking movies, and anything that involves zombies.
Her Campus at UW-Stout